Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Permitted development for land over 0.4 hectares but under 5 hectares  (Read 8105 times)

alfi-b

• Joined Apr 2018
I read somewhere that there is some limited permitted development for smallholders in the UK with less than 5 h but more than 0.4 h. Does anyone know where I can find out more?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Permitted development for land over 0.4 hectares but under 5 hectares
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:54:02 pm »
Google! All info is there. (Somewhere.)
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Permitted development for land over 0.4 hectares but under 5 hectares
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 07:23:41 pm »
I think you need to start at the planning portal for your location.  We certainly have a lot of clauses that seem to be specific to our County Council ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
news to me never heard of this and would be pretty messy by the time all small holders started popping up structures all over the countryside.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
There are conditions under which you have to apply for pp anyway - near a road, a livestock building within 400m of a neighbouring homestead, etc - and even the permitted development must give Advance Notice, to allow the council to object if there is a problem. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
The permitted development rights for that size bracket of land only allows you to add 10% onto an existing building or alter the internal layout of a current building.

Full permitted development can only be obtained if you have over 15 acres and can prove that the smallholding is a viable business in its own rights.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
It depends where you are in the UK. The rules in Scotland are very different to those in England and Wales and are much more geared for smaller acreages.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
In England full PD rights apply for holdings over 5 hectares (12.5 acres) and you do not have to prove viability of your holding - just that you have that amount of land available to use. The level of proof of land is not very onerous either - you just have to say it is available. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS