Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lump on goats jaw  (Read 3798 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Lump on goats jaw
« on: April 29, 2018, 09:01:19 am »
Hello,
Can anyone give me some advice please?
I've noticed a lump on my goats jawline. Its hard and about the size of a large marble. It doesn't seem to bother her at the moment, she's eating fine. My first thought is an infection from a thorn or similar. If so, does she need antibiotics or will it eventually burst and need keeping clean? Or could it be something more serious?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Lump on goats jaw
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 11:05:52 am »
sounds to me like an abscess in the gums, or under a tooth. I think you'd need a vet to diagnose as if you treat it with antibiotics before its burst you could just have the infection flare back up again. If you have the vet out regularly and its not bothering her I'd wait, if you hardly every have the vet out I'd ask them to take a look.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:18:14 pm »
One of my kids had a lump in her jaw so I took her to the vet. He used a hypodermic to see if he could draw blood. He couldn't so he used a scalpel on it. The pus flew everywhere including hitting him in the face. He calmly wiped it off with the back of his hand and showed me how to clean it with saline twice a day. It soon healed. Vet reckoned it was mostly likely a thorn and they had had hawthorn a few days earlier.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 08:36:46 am »
Ah OK, thanks for the replies, I'll give my vet a ring and ask her to come take a look. It's been a bad weekend for us as our landlady has decided she wants her grazing back so looks like I'll need to rehome two of my girls. Not sure anyone will want a goat with a lump on her face!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:31:38 pm »
That's hard. Is there no other land nearby that you can rent instead?

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 02:43:08 pm »
There is some land we could rent but we are already pushed to the limit financially as we are down to one salary. So if anyone would like two young goats ( 2 year old boer Cross maiden milker and an Anglo nubian Cross 2 year old) please get in touch. I'm not interested in money for them just good experienced homes as they are horned and spirited!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS