Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Pigs as a Smallholder in Northern Ireland  (Read 2284 times)

White Ridge Farm

• Joined Apr 2018
Keeping Pigs as a Smallholder in Northern Ireland
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:37:04 pm »
Hi All

New member to the forum although have been on the site quite a few times previously doing some research. Mainly wanted to ask any smallholders from Northern Ireland with experience of pigs whether there is much of a marketplace in our neck of the woods for selling rare breed weaners?

As a bit of background at some stage I would like to start keeping some rare breed sows and selling the offspring once weaned at 9 -10 weeks. Research on the site seems to show a lack of abattoirs in Northern Ireland that deal with the small number of pigs that smallholders typically need processing so I have a few concerns that it may be quite difficult to sell them on if it will be quite a hassle for the new owner to ultimately get them processed into pork or bacon.

Many Thanks

White Ridge Farm

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Keeping Pigs as a Smallholder in Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:04:04 am »
Hello there
Welcome to the site  :wave: I am not a pig person, but I guess someone will be along shortly to answer your questions  :thumbsup: 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:14:48 am »
Hi  :wave:

I have sold pigs to NI but I think there are difficulties given the size of Ireland in terms of selling offspring. I am sure it is feasible but you are quite right to do your homework and I would think you would need to think small rather than large in terms of you herd size.

My friend in Ireland would probably be able to give you her experiences of keeping pigs there. Google Crookedstone Catterery, near Belfast for her number.

:thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:27:22 pm »
I don't know about pigs either but hello and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Jim Bob

• Joined Mar 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:40:35 pm »
Grants abattoir in Derry will cater for slaughter of pigs of smallholders. That’s the only one.

White Ridge Farm

• Joined Apr 2018
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 07:19:54 am »
Hi All

Thanks for all the replies. I will likely start off with a couple of kunekunes (as glorified pets) to get some hands on experience with pigs and take it from there. They can earn their keep as lawn mowers.

Luckily, The Balmoral Show is coming up in a couple of weeks, I may be able to get some insider info on the situation from some of the local breeders there.

White Ridge Farm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS