Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Knowing when to shear  (Read 1195 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Knowing when to shear
« on: April 26, 2018, 08:21:09 pm »
Hi all,

It's my third summer of having sheep so you'd think I'd have worked this out by now, but how do you know when to shear?

The first year we did it at the end of May as that's when other smallholders in our area had booked for. That was ok but the castlemilks had shed a lot of the fleece themselves by that point and I would really like to harvest the fleece from them.

The second year we did late April as the ewes were due to lamb in May (we were late I know) and I was worried that if we waited until after lambing for a time the shearers would be comfortable it would be too late.

This year I have the option of going with someone who could do them mid May or someone who could do Mid June. I'm a little worried about leaving it as late as Mid June as the sheep are already seeming a bit itchy in their fleece.

We are down in South Lincolnshire and our night temperatures are about 6-8C at the moment.

How do you decide when to shear each year?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Knowing when to shear
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:25:56 pm »
Did ours May 10th last year after a ewe was struck on the 8th. We are in the south west it is mild and damp so perfect conditions for strike. Most of ours last year were fit to shear by that time but the odd couple where lambing had taken it out of them were still sticky and didn’t shear well. All to do with the rise I think? This year will aim to do them the same time maybe a week later if we can get away with it... any longer than end of May and we really play lottery with strike.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS