Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mystery - any suggestions please?  (Read 2748 times)

melodysheep

• Joined Apr 2015
Mystery - any suggestions please?
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:40:05 pm »
I have a castrated shetland boy of 4 years.
On Friday of last week (had to be the first time I was going away with husband for years - of course) on checking in the morning, I found him almost contracting (best description I can offer) every few minutes. Rang vet and advised metacam and buscopan - duly administered. He was not really much easier by late afternoon so called vet out. No temperature/heart rate normal/no adverse other noises from within. Only explanation seemed to be bunged up so to let drugs take effect.
Our neighbour checked them last thing and he was still at it so she called on duty vet who said couldn't give anything else on top of what he'd had. As he didn't look distressed, leave until the morning and re-check.
Next morning, still at it so next vet out. Ruled out stones and waterwork problems so suggested epsom salt drench and ?lube to flush him through.  After 2nd drench he did start to scour a bit and the 'contractions' seemed to ease while he was at rest. He started nibbling grass and drinking.
On checking him this morning, although no where as bad as originally, he seems to still be contracting, again, not as badly, when he moves.
He doesn't seem particularly distressed although not mixing with the girls either.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it be tapeworm although surely there would have been evidence of that.
They were last treated with Oramec which doesn't appear to cover that. They are not overgrazed and he's not been 'off colour' before.
I'm waiting for next call from the vet, but thought I'd see if anyone on here had any bright ideas!
Thank you in advance
p.s. just spoken to original vet and she is putting out another dose of metacam and worming injection. She didn't think it was tapeworm but worming would do no harm.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Mystery - any suggestions please?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »
My first thought was stones in the urethra, but you say that has been ruled out.
Second thought, some kind of poisoning.
Let's hope someone else has a better idea !
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:29:12 pm »
Absolutely  sure its not Urolithiasis ? Normally a sheep constantly straining has the runs

melodysheep

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 08:38:38 pm »
Don't think so as pretty bunged up until epsom salts etc, but thank you.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:56:25 am »
If your sheep were a dog (bear with me!) I'd wonder if they'd eaten a lump of tennis ball that can't pass all the way through? As in something is causing an obstruction, and even if the faeces are loosened enough to flow around the blockage, the actual blockage is still there?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:01:24 am »
I think sheep, like cattle, divert foreign bodies into one of the stomachs - and they stay there, don’t pass through. But my knowledge of ruminant digestion is a bit sketchy...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 08:16:10 pm »
ruminants have 4 stomachs and often in cattle metal objects ( wire ,nails , screws ) can get lodged in the second somach  ( reticulum )  and have to be removed . Was a programme a few years ago about cows in India eating large amounts  of plastic  and dying if not operated on

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 11:00:09 pm »
Any feedback?  I am suspicious of some kind of infection from the castration.  Def Metacam and anti biotics.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS