Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rats - need advice on poison  (Read 4830 times)

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Re: Rats - need advice on poison
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 09:30:16 am »
Further to my reply above, you may find this useful:

https://www.pestmagazine.co.uk/media/245855/32-33-know-your-poison.pdf

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 11:18:25 am »
Difenacoum is quite a bit safer around cats and dogs than the Bromadiolone you bought.

It also has the benefit of being better on mice too.

Look up LD50 for the specifics of potential poisoning of non target species.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 11:21:02 am »
That’s really useful, Maysie,  thank you for highlighting it.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 11:25:19 am »
I'm presuming you don't need the competence certificate for these poisons suggested?
Don't like using poisons becoase of cats (ours and others), and JR,  but I think we have a bit of a problem in the polytunnel, where hens are kept with access to outside.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 11:32:31 am »
Single dose poisons need a licence, but double dose (ie less effective) poisons are still available without a licence but in smaller volumes, these are generally sealed in individual 100g sachets nowadays. 

The poisons should ALL still be treated with great respect and used with the professional bait boxes, weighted down and clearly marked etc to avoid any issues with non-target species still though. 

I tried many things before resorting to poisons as I have cats, dogs, chickens and feed the wild birds, but in the end it was the only effective treatment and the problem was getting wildly out of control while my other ineffective efforts were trialed. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 06:34:17 pm »
Thanks everyone.
Part of the problem is the tarpaulin containing the insulation that my sons put up to keep the dogs warm when we moved in 10 years ago - it's their home.  The kennels are no longer needed for the dogs which is why the ducks and hens are in there.  So as soon as possible, that is coming down - got somebody lined up but he's busy just now.  Then I'll put the bait boxes down, and hopefully that'll be the end of them.

Locking this now, thanks for  all your help and reassurance
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS