Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soon be shearing time...  (Read 1969 times)

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
Soon be shearing time...
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:41:38 am »
...and do you think I can find someone to do my two 12-month old wethers?

I knew it would be a bit tough to find someone to do small numbers but I'm drawing a blank.

Anyone in Spalding, Lincolnshire (or further afield if we have to trailer them) who can help? Ideally want to get the fleece off them before mid-may so I have a month or two before slaughter to adjust their diet.

Being flighty sods I can't easily condition score them until the fleece is off and they're not the kind of sheep who would take kindly to any fledgling shearing efforts from me.

Any ideas?

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Soon be shearing time...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:04:46 am »
Im near Wisbech and use Jason Shorten to do my 10 or so ewes. He comes over from Norfolk but would be worth asking if he will come to you. This will be the 5th year hes done my girls, I had 5 ewes 5 years ago, so he's very happy to do small numbers. Can highly recommend him, always turns up on time, is lovely with the animals and has his own sheepdogs should you need them. He is on facebook or phone 07828 723984  :)

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:00:11 pm »
You star!

Thank you so much! Just spoke to him and he's going to fit me in one day when he's passing.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 01:13:54 pm »
We also have Jason, to do our 3 wethers. This will be their first shear but my neighbours have a mixed small flock and use Jason - they did say to remind him they were wethers as if he’s not expecting that - he has been known to catch them.  :-*

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:09:57 pm »
 :wave:

Hi Steel,

I'm in Spalding too, We've tried Jason but he can't fit us in until mid June. There is Jim Fletcher who is currently still lambing but says in a week or so he will be looking at his diary to arrange dates and is thinking mid May to start shearing and I'm giving Greg Bull a call tomorrow.

I'm not sure where abouts in Spalding you are (we're down in Holbeach Drove) but you may find it helpful to join the Fenland Smallholder's Club. We're a great group of people and we have a Facebook page you can join without being a member if you want to get to know us a bit before signing up. I'm finding it great for organising things like shearing as it's easier for the shearers if several people in one area can be done on the same day.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 09:45:03 am »
Hi Dans, so sorry, I've only just seen your message.

Will definitely check out the Smallholder's club. I've been looking for one for a while.

Just to update the thread, we used Jason in the end and he was fab. My wethers were a bit lairy and rambunctious so they were indignant at being hefted up by a big bloke, dumped on their bums and shorn.

There was a lot of outraged bleating for hours afterwards.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS