Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Phantom twins...  (Read 1282 times)

SallyN

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Nr Chard, Somerset
Phantom twins...
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:04:45 am »
Hello, I have two little problems here.

Just finishing lambing (very late, even later than I usually do, but this year I'm not sorry); and one of my ewes delivered a lamb about 4am without me there. By the time I got to her she had produced a massive ewe lamb, dried off, up on its feet and feeding.

First issue: I was so convinced this ewe had twins. She was the size of a house. She also doesn't have that hollowed-out look ewes get when they've just lambed - she's still quite round and feels firm when I squeeze her sides. But she was also quite fat - probably a 3-4 - so that might explain it?

I'm concerned there might be another twin in there, though it would be dead by now I would have thought? There is no discharge, in fact less than usual, and the ewe is looking very well in herself, responding well to her lamb, eating up and generally enthusiastic about life. What do you think? Would you have a bit of a feel at this stage to see if you can find anything? Or would it be more obvious if she still had something in there?

Second issue; the lamb has very pink-rimmed eyes, which look a little sore though she is showing no signs of distress. It's not turned-in eyelid (I have dealt with several of those in my time) and there's no weeping or sensitivity to light, so I don't think it's pinkeye though have no experience of that. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help....

Sally
Smallholding without the smallholding, on various bits of rented land and a big veg garden! Small flock of Dorset Down sheep, assorted hens and a couple of idle ponies.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Phantom twins...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:57:27 am »
If she's young and in good condition then she won't go "hollow" after lambing the way an older ewe sometimes does.  What breed is the lamb?  Charollais or Rouge crosses often have a bare pink area immediately around the eye.  If it looks an angry pink, has an inturned lid or is weeping I suggest speaking to your vet.

SallyN

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Nr Chard, Somerset
Re: Phantom twins...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:17:33 am »
Thanks for replying - this is only her second lambing so yes, she is pretty young and fit, that's useful to know, I thought they all went hollow.

OK I've just been up to check on her again and she's looking perfectly content, guess I should stop worrying till there's something to worry about! They're Dorset Downs and though they sometimes have turned-in eyelids never usually get any disease problems with eyes. They are usually born with sort of greyish-pink rims to their eyes, this is definitely quite a bright pink - I'd say it looks angry but maybe that's only by comparison with the other lambs and there are no other symptoms. Again, she's looking very well in herself though and no weepy discharge from the eyes or distress so I'm thinking keep a watching brief.

Sheep... they'll keep you worrying, that's for sure...! 
Smallholding without the smallholding, on various bits of rented land and a big veg garden! Small flock of Dorset Down sheep, assorted hens and a couple of idle ponies.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS