Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Replacing agricultural shed with wooden cabin?  (Read 1887 times)

Folkiefolk

• Joined Apr 2018
Replacing agricultural shed with wooden cabin?
« on: April 24, 2018, 02:38:25 am »
Hi there,
We have a 12 acre smallholding and are in the process of trying to get planning permission to convert a small victorian brick barn into a dwelling. We have been advised that we are allowed to put a static caravan on site whilst we are building.
We have just found out that a relative who is selling their house needs to remove from their garden an almost brand new wooden cabin before they sell and they have offered it to us for free!

Would we be allowed to put it on site instead of a caravan? There is already a concrete pad where it would fit as we are in the process of replacing an old shed.
A cabin is classed as a temporary structure and from what I've read so far you don't need planning if its within the obvious curtilage of your dwelling but the concrete pad is not. What are the rules for cabins on agri land?
Could we put a tin roof on it and call it a shed!?!

Any advice would be greatfully received. Many thanks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Replacing agricultural shed with wooden cabin?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:39:54 am »
I think you would be well advised to ask a planning consultant for a half hour appointment - they are often free
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Folkiefolk

• Joined Apr 2018
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:02:14 pm »
Thanks, I'm going to get in touch with an ex planning officer who is advising us on the current planning app.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 04:53:41 pm »
Just do it - and hope that youve built your dwelling before the crap hits the fan - I presume youve got planning already as it allows you a caravan for 'security'

I had temp toilet blocks whilst I was applying for permission for the new toilet blocks - they flagged it - but the process takes so long its just fingers up int it - the new toilet block would be built before they got any challenge for the temporary ones through court

I think they just need something to do and a few tick boxes to fill and take back to the office
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:57:37 pm by bazzais »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 09:13:22 pm »
It might depend on how over-looked you are by neighbours, but if you are at all tempted by bazzais' proposal and the cabin is not massive you could always paint the bottom foot black and lean a couple of  brightly painted wheels up against it (and trust that your neighbours are short-sighted and mistake it for a "shepherds hut")  :D :D ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:15:05 pm by arobwk »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:39:02 pm »
It might depend on how over-looked you are by neighbours, but if you are at all tempted by bazzais' proposal and the cabin is not massive you could always paint the bottom foot black and lean a couple of  brightly painted wheels up against it (and trust that your neighbours are short-sighted and mistake it for a "shepherds hut")  :D :D ;)

:roflanim:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 10:50:39 pm »

:roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS