Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommendations please : rat proof hen feeder  (Read 6948 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Recommendations please : rat proof hen feeder
« on: April 23, 2018, 09:49:14 pm »
As well as our main flock of free range (though in a large foxproof pen) egg-layers we have a small (6 birds) household flock which is completely free range. 

We need to get a ratproof feeder for the latter.  We want the hens to have food available at all times and currently are feeding rats instead ::)

Which one can people recommend please?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Recommendations please : rat proof hen feeder
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:44:11 pm »
Following with interest. I really like the idea of the treadle feeders but reviews seem to be so mixed so looking for the best idea

turtle

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:52:48 am »
Absolutely love our Grandpas feeder. Had it about a year now. Hens soon learnt how to use it and there is no food wastage at all. Expensive but worth every penny.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 11:56:24 am »
We also have free range ducks. Would they be likely to be able to pinch the hens’ food in one of these?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:19:07 pm »
We've got Granpas - had them for years - and they are great.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:41:56 pm »
Fan of grandpa. Hens were slow to get used to it ( about a month!) but really pleased with it. Worth the cost.

Jim Bob

• Joined Mar 2018
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 05:49:01 pm »
I have the treadle from amazon. Does the job.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 06:28:50 pm »

Good to know!  What did you think about the ducks learning to raid it?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 07:08:54 pm »

Yep,  my ducks raid the grandpas feeder
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 08:08:59 pm »

Okay, well that’s not going to work for us, then :(.

:thinking:

How big and how heavy is the Grandpa feeder?  Would it be practical for us to put it in with the hens at bedtime, so at least they have ad lib for a few hours in the morning before they get let out?  (And we’d then have to shut it up or shut it away until bedtime again.)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 09:08:01 am »
We have two treadle feeders. They have been fine with the exception of one instance when the treadle had too much muck under it so in effect it remained open. I found that a rat had managed to get into the feed under the drop down metal bar. Suffice to say it could not get out and died. Never had that problem since.

Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 10:43:49 am »

Okay, well that’s not going to work for us, then :(.

:thinking:

How big and how heavy is the Grandpa feeder?  Would it be practical for us to put it in with the hens at bedtime, so at least they have ad lib for a few hours in the morning before they get let out?  (And we’d then have to shut it up or shut it away until bedtime again.)

I've now had a chat with my namesake at Grandpas Feeders in the UK, and have the dimensions.  It's 230mm x 430mm x 510mm and weighs 6.2kgs, so the idea of putting it away during the day is not really practical. Sally confirms that ducks can use the feeder, but says that because ducks eat by scooping, they won't find it very easy to use the feeder as shipped - although they will get a bit of feed out of it.  Where people want the feeder to feed hens and ducks, they recommend removing the grille so that ducks can scoop.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 04:17:55 pm »
Okay, well that’s not going to work for us, then :( .

Unless you were to put the feeder inside a small area surrounded by a low, circular fence?  That way, the hens could hop up and over to the feeder, but the ducks couldn't.  If you made the fence as rat-proof as possible (?), that might also help you out?

Why don't you want the ducks to be able to access it, anyway?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 04:23:32 pm »
Okay, well that’s not going to work for us, then :( .

Unless you were to put the feeder inside a small area surrounded by a low, circular fence?  That way, the hens could hop up and over to the feeder, but the ducks couldn't. 

:idea: You're a genius, Womble  :notworthy:

I've already ordered one, on the basis we could limit the amount of food the ducks get from it by how we use it, but this is a really good idea, definitely worth investigating.

Why don't you want the ducks to be able to access it, anyway?

The ducks get two feeds a day, and clean up in less than a minute.  The ducks clearly do not need any more food, they are in tip-top condition and lay gazillions of eggs.

These hens run a little thin unless they get a good period of access to layers' pellets.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 04:26:46 pm »
I've already ordered one, on the basis we could limit the amount of food the ducks get from it by how we use it

So the plan is that it lives in the hen's house run, and we'll put enough feed in it when we shut them up at night to give them as much as we think they'll eat in the morning before they're let out.  If they don't eat every last pellet, and the ducks do find it and how to use it, the ducks won't get a pile of feed so it won't be a big problem.

During the two week training period, when it's effectively open all the time, we will endeavour to only put enough in it that it will definitely be empty by the time the choox are let out, so the ducks won't also get trained during this time ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS