Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep and long grass - do they mix ??  (Read 17294 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Sheep and long grass - do they mix ??
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:05:14 pm »
HI

I am a complete beginner to sheep keeping who has recently bought a small flock of pedigree zwartbles which I am really looking forward to bringing home soon after they have been tupped.  However !! my field has been used for silage by the local farmer and the intention was to put the sheep onto the aftermath BUT because of the relentless wet weather the 2nd cut hasn't been able to be taken and its now into September.  The ground has been too wet to take a tractor in and the grass is now beginning to go brown.  Is it likely that it could still be cut ? Main Question is ..... what happens if it can't be cut and is left as it is ?  Can you put sheep into such long (and possibly rotting!) grass ?  From my book I understand that long wet grass can cause scald ? I also have this vision of sheep struggling through it ?  Perhaps worrying about nothing but would welcome any comments. thanks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sheep and long grass - do they mix ??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 06:43:26 pm »
I'm no expert but I think the grass is now useless for silage. Recieved wisdom is that long grass causes scoots. We're struggling to get grass cut too - as it gets longer it takes more time to dry and it's never that long between showers!

Glad you got your zwartbles (I had four attempts at spelling this - hope it's correct!) - will we see you at the smallholders association?

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:44:17 pm »
thanks for the reply Rosemary      eek - bit worried about the 'scoots' (which I presume is a polite version of something else beginning with sh.. ?!) especially as the ewes will hopefully be pregnant  Can they make such a thing as poorer quality silage or is it just ruined ?   I do feel sorry for my farmer friend who must have in addition to my field about another 50 acres like that !   

Not joined an association yet although have noticed in one of the smallholder magazines an ad for a Scottish Association for smallholders which meets at Fenwick in Ayrshire which would be handy for me. 

enjoyed reading about your sheepy spending spree in the diary !!  will look up the Mole Valley Farmers website as I need all the gubbins and some hurdles/feeders etc.  Had a great time sheep shopping recently buying two ewe lambs at the breed show/sale at Carlisle - who needs to go to the gym when you can just bid to get your heart rate up !!  Now at seven in total so sheep shopping complete.

When are the Ryelands being tupped ?  Have you sourced a likely chap yet ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:26:49 pm »
We have indeed - he's called Sheriffyards Kinross. He comes from the same person as bred the ewes but is unrelated. Hope to get in end October to go out 5th November - fireworks all round!

The grass sounds ruined, unfortunately.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:23:50 pm »
Fab name - is he a coloured Ryeland ?     

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 07:40:48 am »
He is. Actually, I must get up to see him soon. Will take photos!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:57:32 pm »
The biggest problem with long wet grass in the early part of the year is that it is so rich and lush which leads to ‘scoots’ as rosemary puts it. After its been cut you get another flush of growth but its not quite so rich which is why this is so good for sheep and cattle finishing. However as the season gets later the grass loses vitality and isn’t quite so nutritious so less of a problem with scoots, scald will be a problem tho’.

Last year we finished some feeding ewes on just such grass. Ewes will cope with it better than lambs.

In a way long grass in winter can be beneficial as the dying tops provide shelter for newer growth underneath which sheep can scratch out over winter.

In the spring if the grass has turned coarse it should be topped and harrowed as soon as the ground is firm enough to allow a tractor on
Ian

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 03:17:01 pm »
My Ryeland boys are now in with the girls, but we do lamb earlier here late Feb/March. Running two white boys and two coloured boys this year so hopefully plenty of little ewe lambs. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Boys names Dennis, Keiser,Hal & Kushty.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:45:48 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 04:43:21 pm »
thanks HHM - that's given me a bit of hope that I could still put them on it.    Here's a really mad idea tho ..... although the grass quality is beyond using for hay/silage, if by some miracle everything dried up could it still be cut, round baled and used to make a shelter ???  I know I know, can't believe I'm asking such a daft question, but as I am having to look into some sort of shelter anyway ..... 

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 05:11:56 pm »
Using silage/Haylage as a shelter is a no-no. The problem is that it will rot and make a sludge if air/water get into it. This sludge could well develop mould which causes a deadly disease who's name i've forgotten. (one of the symptoms is the ewe acting blind and wandering in circles-treat immediately with a double dose of penicillan-even then its probably too late) similarly dont use hay for nesting material.

Ian

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 07:28:46 pm »
eeek !   definitely won't be doing that then      thanks for the warning, back to the pole barn project then ! 

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 11:13:34 pm »
Do not worry re putting ewes on any sort of length of grass......they will cope.............! Ok its not ideal but I have been doing it for years and its fine! Just watch their feet for 'strip'.........a sort of athletes foot between the two parts of the hoof.
Apparently leaving grass uncut and then grazing it is called 'foggage' grazing!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:17:46 pm »
thanks woollyshepherd   - I'll try to stop worrying now !

thanks to everyone for their help

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:51:28 pm »
If you stop worrying, you'll worry that you're not worrying. Goes with the territory, i think!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS