Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To seed or not to seed  (Read 1439 times)

thepebblesfarm

• Joined Aug 2017
To seed or not to seed
« on: April 22, 2018, 06:57:15 pm »
We normally reseed our pig pens at the end of the year so there is some nice lush grass for when they go outside the following year but as it was so wet last year and this year till now we never got round to seeding them so my question is do I seed now the suns out or just let the pigs have the pens as they are (dried muddy pens ) and re seed later in the year when I bring them in again?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: To seed or not to seed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:37:50 am »
We have a similar problem here with seeding a chicken run. It's too late now for the grass to grow and establish so it will be a waste of seed and time as our chickens will just destroy it. We're seeding later and not moving them in until next year. So your pigs will just get mud until next year, unless it is possible to divide the pens.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: To seed or not to seed
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:40:40 am »
I wouldn't totally say it's too late now to reseed. The weather has got warmer now, so the soil's warmed up and the days are longer, so any grass seed will germinate and establish a lot faster than it would have done a month ago.
So if you wanted the grass for grazing animals. I would say "go for it!" But as it's just for the pigs to root  up again, then it probably is a waste.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS