Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A big hello from north wales  (Read 1082 times)

keith_warb

• Joined Apr 2017
A big hello from north wales
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:04:02 am »
Hello fellow smallholders/farmers/everybody with a love having a go,

We (my wife Julie, me & kids) decided to fully move lock stock and barrel from warrington to the beautiful Lleyn peninsula north Wales just over a year ago.
Julie found the house on rightmove from “I’m just looking” and we all fell in love with it straight away, so we did the move!
We have 17 acres & now have a free range herd of saddleback pigs (3 sows and Bruno the boar) and the best pork we’ve ever eaten, 30 hens of all varietie of breeds (for eggs) 6 geese for eggs and the table and 15 Beulah ewe lambs for putting to the ram this November. Not to mention the 3 dogs, 2 Vizslas and a Boston terrier.
It’s certainly not been easy, I’ve read anything I could get my hands on, the information on here was unbelievably helpful so thanks to everyone for that.
The land didn’t have any pig housing so we built a breedin/nursery area for farrowing (priceless) ran water & power to all the animal areas, and put up about 3 miles of fencing too.
The pigs have been a very steep learning curve, injecting antibiotics etc was a real test but made easier after the purchase of the injectorgun!
We absolutely love it here, the local farmers have been so helpful and I don’t think we could have done it without their help, the farming community in general are so knowledgable and generous with their time.
If anyone else is looking to do the same, just do it! Make the leap you won’t be sorry.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: A big hello from north wales
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:03:26 am »
 :wave: hi, Keith, and welcome to the forum. Your life sounds really exciting and what a great life for the children. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: A big hello from north wales
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:20:34 am »
nice to meet you  :wave: and congratulations on taking the plunge!  :trophy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS