Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs Scrotum  (Read 1727 times)

Ingledenesuffolks

• Joined Apr 2018
Lambs Scrotum
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:26:10 pm »
Hello. I am new to this so i'd appreciate your patience.
We castrated one of the ram lambs yesterday (using castration rings) however this morning he was walking funny and seems to be in a lot of discomfort. I checked him over and found that the sack itself had somehow burst and was bleeding.  Firstly, he escaped from his pen during the night so i am unsure if the damage was caused by this or if it was caused by the castration. Secondly, how should i treat this?

He seems to urinate normally and stools are normal however he has a reduced appetite and walks around with one back leg off the ground although toes the floor when standing. He also struggles to sit normally.

I have just checked him again and it appears that the sack it tearing away.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lambs Scrotum
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:00:26 am »
I haven't come across this in thousands of ringings, so I suspect it's an injury he acquired in his escapade. Can you get him to a vet?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:19:25 pm »
VET QUICKLY

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 12:48:02 pm »
Vet - right NOW!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 05:37:16 pm »
Hi [member=177485]Ingledenesuffolks[/member] .  How did you get on with the vet and your lamb?  What did he/she think had happened?  Is the lamb OK now?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ingledenesuffolks

• Joined Apr 2018
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 10:46:19 am »
Hello all.

The good news is that the ram is fine. The vet came within a few hours and checked him over and reported that he was fine. I had sprayed a small amount of iodine on him and it cleared it up well although possibly very uncomfortable for the little fella temporarily.

My sincere thanks to everyone that replied.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 11:07:48 pm »
no apology needed - its all a learning curve - thanks for posting - hope th little bleeder is alright

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS