Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and aspirin?  (Read 4706 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Goats and aspirin?
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:22:05 pm »
Bad day here, sadly neighbour pulled a badly presented kid from my Boer. Given her 3ml P&S, but i have no painkillers, she is so totally miserable i want to cry with her.
I know you can give aspirin, but how and how much? And will that be enough? Not sure where I'd get something now?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Goats and aspirin?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:48:19 pm »
Quick search online would suggest 100mg/kg, assuming probably 50-80kg for nanny, I'd err on side of caution and dose 500mg - orally, can crush and dissolve in water and squirt in with syringe as probably the easiest way to deliver.
Is she on her feet etc? Could be worth calcium/magnesium/dextrose injection if she's really down or off feet. Alternatively you could see if your vet can put you out an injection of meloxicam or flunixin or their preferred painkiller.
Hope she feels better soon

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 10:30:17 pm »
OH talking to a sheep farmer, picking something up, have to give 2ml under skin, thinks it begins with M.
Going now,
Feeling so sickened, I felt something was wrong, asked this sheep farmer, he wasn't about so he sent his man, who said she looked OK,  wasnt distessed, might not kid till tonight, i knew it had been too long, but thought he knew what he was doing. Later in the afternoon, she was laid with her head back against her stomach, i think she knew it had died.
Another friend said it was too long, came down, had a struggle turning kid round, big kid.
She is so miserable, head in corner.  I feel so helpless, been a long horrible day.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:20:58 pm »
Metacam.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 11:40:34 pm »
That should help her. Sometimes these things happen and one person would do one thing, someone else would do another, and it's always easier to figure out the right call in hindsight. It may be that the kid was the wrong way because it was dead already, there's certainly nothing can be done now except making mum as comfortable as possible. Hope you both feel better soon

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 11:57:04 pm »
Thanks, i cant bear to see her like this, feel so guilty for not being confident enough to sort things out myself.  :(

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 08:30:38 am »
Oh that's so sad ?

How are you all doing this morning? I hope things look brighter today Xx

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 01:07:33 pm »
Well said Scarlett Dragon

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 04:47:21 pm »
Why did you not get a vet if you were so worried?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 05:01:36 pm »
Why did you not get a vet if you were so worried?
We are surrounded by sheep farmers who lamb hundreds. When the man said she wasnt ready I wasn't sure enough of my own judgement. Obviously I totally regret that.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 05:13:21 pm »
Horrible horrible horrible.
Been down at the vets, luckily she went in to check, Found another big dead lamb. Candy was closing up, so it was a case of lambing ropes and hauling it out, 2 of us holding her and vet pulling, awful, never ever want to do that again, She didnt want to do a ceasarian (?) because dead lamb and risk of infection.
Tetroxy and Flunixin injections, +some for the next few days. No guarantees  :'(
My poor little girl was wanting to collapse but we managed to get her back in the van, she had the sense to lay down when I set off.
asked about lambing courses, she said they hadn't held one for a few years, she would see if they could do one.
Sorry, don't think I've read all the replies yet, difficult dealing with this, but thanks anyway.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 05:54:43 pm »

That really does sound horrible - but yes you wouldn't do a C-section if the lamb/kid inside was dead and possibly already decomposing... Good that you got it out. I have found Flunixin is really good in making them feel better, keep giving it for the next few days every 24 hours. They won't like the injection as it stings, but do put it in (as well as AB's of course - which one did you get, things like Alamycin LA have to be given every two days to goats rather than the three days it is for sheep). I would also drench her with Propylene glycol or similar, so she has some energy if she isn't keen on eating. Willow is coming through here and they will nibble it - what about bananas, cabbage (mine love the outer leaves of cauliflower), carrots or similar?

Hope she pulls through, my last kidding last week was a rough one (vet at 11pm, pulled out two kids that were backwards and upside down, but both alive and well, and both girls, BT's). I had to hang on to the dam at the front end with the vet pulling at the other....Dam now doing fine and no infection so far (Flunixin for three days and one shot of Alamycin LA).

Funixin dose rate is a funny one, I think it's 2ml per 45kgs?

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 06:20:26 pm »
Oh my, what a horrible time you've had....... :hug:

I do hope that both of you are feeling better soon x

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 12:09:52 am »
Anybody around who could tell me tbe dose for Calciject 6 for goats please?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 06:35:13 am »
same as for sheep, but probably too late now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS