Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maiden milker?  (Read 1776 times)

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
Maiden milker?
« on: April 21, 2018, 03:42:48 pm »
Hi everyone ????

I've had a completely mental time of it it these last few weeks,  so forgive me if I have just lost the plot and am talking gibberish......i wouldn't be surprised!

My two nannies kidded, one with twins (previously only having singles) and a first time mum having triplets! Decided to dis bud, and one of the twins was naturally polled so only one. Mum wasn't happy with the lovely silver paint job she was sporting when she came home from the vets and licked her til she bled ????
Just as the first time mum went into labour! Little girl first, ok, and then one was supermanning as he came out, and the other boy backwards.
They were dis budded too but mum is a bit less possessive and all seems well with these ones!
Currently have the one twin in the kitchen.......again after trip to the vets this morning with infection. Sigh.

So you can see why maybe I'm a little frazzled!

Anyway, just been sat in with the almost yearlings and my wether ( don't ask!) And I've noticed that one of my little girls has a swollen udder......but only on one side. She has a weird double teat thing going on, on the other side which I didn't notice when I got her along with her sisters. (They do not have any extras btw )

So, I had a look and tried to see if there was any milk. And there is!

I really don't know what to think. She wasn't like this a couple of days ago for sure.

Is it possible that she is a maiden milker? Or is there something else that could cause this? Maybe the fact she has an odd udder anyway?

I know Plums has a maiden milker.........

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:49:27 pm by Flump74 »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Maiden milker?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 05:16:45 pm »

Very possible that you have a maiden milker - but has she got a fishtail or an extra teat? That would be quite a big fault.... and make milking exceedingly difficult. Even if her sister(s) don't have it it will be in their genetic make-up and may well be cropping up in later kiddings... if you bought them as kids -it is quite often difficult (even for an experienced breeder) to see these in young kids.

If your maiden milkers udder is quite small I would not bother milking her, just checking regularly that her udder doesn't get hot/tight/reddish which would indicate mastitis. These teenage udders can be quite lopsided, nothing to worry about.

You can also milk her in which case she may need a bit more concentrate to make sure she has enough energy etc to make milk.

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 05:31:15 pm »
Looks like two totally separate teats to me. And yes I had already thought about the genetics thing and was quite worried about what I was going to do.

She is a BG and I have her sister and her half sister which is a GG

Sigh. It's all been a bit much these last few weeks and not showing signs of getting any less stressful just yet!

Was thinking that if she was a maiden milker it might be her saving grace, so to speak. She is such a dear sweet thing. She was bottle fed so is the friendliest of the bunch....follows me around like a dog still!

Guess, I'll just wait and see for a bit.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:26:23 am »
I bought a five week old Sanaan x kid who later developed a fishtail. I managed to milk her with no problem but she went on to produce two live females, once of which had a split teat. The other one had a daughter with a fishtail. No more breeding from that line.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS