Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you re-use compost?  (Read 5302 times)

sarahevers

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Bellingham, Northumberland
Can you re-use compost?
« on: August 14, 2010, 09:45:26 am »
As a total newby to veg growing, especially from seed, I wondered if you can re-use the compost from the seed trays once you've potted on what was in it? This may seem like a really stupid question to those of you who are long time growers, but if I don't ask, I'll never know, so I posted this question anyway, even with the risk of looking stupid  :)  ???  :)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Can you re-use compost?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:05:59 am »
It is best to use new as bacteria and fungi build up in it and that can effect the germination of new seeds.  I normally put mine out onto the veg beds or compost heap and reuse it that way. If you have the means of sterilising it then you can reuse it, my granpa always uses an old water boiler to sterilise his and has fantastic results with his seedlings
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:56:23 pm by ellisr »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:22:36 am »
I wouldn't re-use bought seed/multi-purpose compost other than as ellisr says spread over veg beds or in the compost heap.  Partly because of the fungus and so on  mentioned but also because any nutrients will be lost or washed out during the first use. Seeds don't actually need any nutrients to germinate but they do need them once they get going, so unless you intend to transplant immediately after germination - which you might do with tomatoes and so on, then it is best just to buy new every time - and buy the best quality you can afford.  I normally buy New Horizon Organic Peat Free but this last year it was not as good as in previous years so I will review for next year.  I do try to save the peat bogs though  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sarahevers

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 12:42:27 pm »
Thank you all for helping me out, and not just laughing at my question  :)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 12:46:08 pm »
There are no silly questions here!

I put mine on the compost heap too  :)

sarahevers

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 12:52:59 pm »
Thanks  :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 06:16:46 pm »
 I also throw everything on the compost heap where it gets mixed with new goodness :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS