Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Difficult lambing  (Read 2963 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Difficult lambing
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:05:49 am »
Encountered our first problem last night. Could tell my favourite ewe ???? was going to lamb yesterday, she was nesting all afternoon, so was checking her frequently. No signs of anything until 9.30pm. Two back feet visible. Grabbed my Tim Tyne bible and phone for hubby to advise. Nothing I had read or seen really prepared me for having to try assist. She wasn't distressed but I could see the cord had prolapsed, which I had read would make it likely lamb would take a breath, so we were not hopeful.

On examination, lamb was ridiculously wedged. We knew our 3 Shetland ladies had been with a suffolk and a texel tup, other two ewes had Suffolk crosses no problem, but this lamb turned out to be a texel cross and it was huge and it wasn't for moving.

After much manipulation, finally managed to get lamb out but sadly it had died. Ewe passed afterbirth and has no bleeding now

This morning, the ewe is up on her feet, seen her drinking but not eating.

Main questions are should I call vet for antibiotics or see how she goes?

And is there anything glaring I've done wrong? Or is it likely lamb was dead before I got there. ????

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Difficult lambing
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:24:30 am »
Unfortunately a big lamb coming backwards can often mean it’s dead by the time it’s out ??.
If it’s a tough lambing I give metacam and antibiotics. If she’s not eaten breakfast I’d definitely give ab’s.
Have you a lamb to foster on?

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:32:46 am »
Will give vets a call to ask about metacam. No orphan lambs but might ask around,

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 09:00:31 am »
Backwards lambs need to come out ASAP, or the cord will break whilst the head is inside and they will drown. Had a fair few backwards calves and the odd backwards lamb and it’s always a rush to get it out in time. So as above it was probably dead by the time you got to it. I give antibiotics and metacam to anything that’s had help lambing, and given she’s not 100% her self I wouldn’t try to foster anything on, just let her dry off in the shed before turning back out (cut out all hard feed and just keep her on hay for a week).

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 01:36:06 pm »
Thanks, vet been out and given antibiotics, metacam and a nutrient boost, she is is still a little off it but has been up walking around, has drunk plenty of water, is still panting a fair bit and slightly wobbly, keeping a very close eye on her

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:13:20 pm »
It might be worth seeing if your vet will dispense a couple of doses (or a bottle depending on how many ewes you have) of antibiotics and metacam so you’ve got it if you need it. Be much cheaper than having the vet out every time.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 03:34:47 pm »
If I see a ewe clearly signalling the birth process is under way I let her push for 20 minutes.  If she stops or nothing's visible by then I'll scrub up and investigate.  If I identify back feet I'll use plenty of lubricant then get someone to hold her front end, count down from three and pull for all I'm worth.  Once the cord breaks the lamb will take a breath so its head needs to be outside at that point. 

I suspect your ewe is suffering from a lengthy birth process, a big lamb and stress from being pulled around, examined by the vet, etc.  Some coarse mix, a bucketful of interesting bits from the verge, the company of another (calm) sheep and some peace and quiet will help.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 04:38:24 pm »
Get one of those bottles of lubricant with a nozzle. An important thing I've learnt is that if the ewe has been pushing for a while and the lamb hasn't moved she will have pushed out most of the fluid inside so there is no lubrication to help your nor her. Lubricate the tube and get it in as far as possible and in as many places as possible and squirt! I also have a gallon of lubricant which can be decanted into smaller bottles for squirting on gloved hands. It might not be enough to save the lamb but it can make things much easier for the ewe.

And hard luck, by the way. Do try skinning and fostering, I honestly believe it helps the ewe recover.

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 05:16:48 pm »
Thanks for the advice all. Next year will be to a tup of our choosing so hopefully help avoid this again. Now vet has seen our sheep they have said they will be happy to dispense as needed without coming out. We only have 3 ewes now, will be adding over the coming months. Feeling better that we did everything right that we could do, just a bad situation. Very gutting but I suppose this is the reality of rearing livestock. Just want to make sure ewe is fine now

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 11:08:58 pm »
Well done for getting the lamb out - but...

After much manipulation, finally managed to get lamb out but sadly it had died.

"much manipulation" is something a novice oughtn't really to be doing.  If it's not coming within a very few minutes of very simple manoeuvres, get the vet. 

Even an old hand needs to know when this one's a vet job. 

I appreciate you knew that time was of the essence for the lamb, but you had a large lamb stuck inside a small, inexperienced ewe - I think I would have called the vet and possibly continued to try whilst the vet was en route, but only very gently and mindful of the ewe's wellbeing.

Do try skinning and fostering, I honestly believe it helps the ewe recover.

As one wise vet said to me, "Give her something to live for" - although, if she's a first-timer, it's less important.  But with an experienced ewe it can make all the difference to her recovery.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 12:01:27 pm »
Well done for getting the lamb out - but...

After much manipulation, finally managed to get lamb out but sadly it had died.

"much manipulation" is something a novice oughtn't really to be doing.  If it's not coming within a very few minutes of very simple manoeuvres, get the vet. 

Even an old hand needs to know when this one's a vet job. 

Totally agree, my use of much manipulation was probably the wrong term. It felt like it, but actually it was only a few minutes which felt like a life time. Was about to call vet but we got it out.

Happy to report ewe is doing well, eating and drinking and looking stronger.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 01:10:55 pm »
Brilliant.  Well done.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 07:42:17 pm »
The first time the head of our local farm vet practice met me I'd been lying on the barn floor for 45 minutes holding a big single inside the ewe and pushing it back every time she had a contraction, because I knew it was too big to be born naturally and its head was getting rammed against the cervix.  He reminds me of it every time I see him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS