Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cheap Sheep clippers?  (Read 3206 times)

Fronden ewes

• Joined Dec 2016
Cheap Sheep clippers?
« on: April 19, 2018, 01:28:34 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking at buying a pair of 240V clippers for crutching/dagging 20 sheep, i would only be doing their bums and if they were to get fly strike, i have no intentions of shearing my own sheep.
I've had the joy of borrowing a friends Heiniger Xpert Sheep Shear 240v over the past few years and I think the time has come to invest in my own pair, but they are a bit out of my price range new . The question i have can anyone recommend a cheap pair of clippers that are up for the job, i've seen plenty on ebay/amazon at the £50-75 price tag but don't want to buy a set that are through away after a few uses.

Any advice would be appreciated.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
Re: Cheap Sheep clippers?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:46:36 pm »
if you do buy a cheap machine buy expensive blades and keep them sharp. the cheap blades that come with the machine do cut, but they go blunt quick, making the motor work harder therefore making the machine burn out quickly.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 02:01:00 pm »
For a cheap option for 20 sheep, old fashioned dagging shears are just a few £££s.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 02:08:00 pm »
Or jakoti shears... I love mine  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 02:11:41 pm »
georgemudgeshearing.co.uk sell reconditioned shearing kit.

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 04:10:17 pm »
As a follow up - do cordless shears work at all well? I’m toying with the idea of learning to shear my own sheep, but life would be much easier if I could do it in the field rather than get near a plug.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 04:33:22 am »
I've had a pair of the cheap ebay ones for about 5 years to shear my angora goats twice a year.
Only problem, I had to get my son to rewire them as the cable pulled out of the swithch connections last year.  I use different cutters and combs for the goats anyway so bought those separately.

I always hand shear the shetland sheep using jakoti shears as there's usually only a fine web to cut through the rise on them.

Fronden ewes

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 12:33:11 pm »
thanks for your reply's, i'm going to bit the bullet and buy a set of the cheap ebay clippers.

As for the cordless type clippers my concerns are the depletion of the batteries as they would not be getting used very often and cheap rechargeable batteries do not last very long.

I'll give you an update once i purchased a set and tested them next month!

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 09:44:33 pm »
As for the cordless type clippers my concerns are the depletion of the batteries as they would not be getting used very often and cheap rechargeable batteries do not last very long.

That's my fear, but life would be so much easier if I could do it in a pen in the field, rather than have to bring them all down.

As it is, I suggested to my more experienced friend I might be able to learn how to shear to save the hassle of finding someone to shee half a dozen sheep, and his face was roughly this:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS