Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coccidiosis  (Read 1320 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Coccidiosis
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:57:16 pm »
2 of my pygmy kids went down with coccidiosis this year :-\.  The vet has treated them and they are fine now, but I can't seem to find much info on how to prevent it happening.
My vet said that the nannies have been kidding in the same field for too long, and I should rotate where they kid.    If this is the case, could I swap my lambing field for the kidding field and vice versa, or would this case the same problem?  ???

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Coccidiosis
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:36:46 pm »

Yep, not much you can do about cocci in kids, sheep have the same cocci species as far as I now. Incubation period is three weeks, so if you drench them just as they get to three weeks and maybe again at 6 weeks you should be able to ensure they don't go down with it too badly. You can also drench the adults before kidding, but I have never done this.

I find as long as I am aware of when it can happen - and it happens to a few of my kids every year, but never all of them - it is something that can be managed.

I now use Baycox rather than Vecoxan, cheaper and lasts longer. You may have to get it through your vet, as of course not licensed for goats.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Re: Coccidiosis
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 02:53:56 pm »
Thanks Anke.

I drench the nannies 6 weeks before they kid, but don't do the kids until 12 weeks old when they leave my holding.  I'll get all the kids done now which will hopefully prevent any more getting ill.

do your nannies kid in the same field/stable every year?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS