Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep showing prep  (Read 2232 times)

Danny

• Joined Jan 2017
Sheep showing prep
« on: April 16, 2018, 09:13:28 am »
Hi guys, looking for some help and pointers with showing sheep(southdowns) it's been a while since I was in the show ring and just need some refreshing in the preparation i.e. Brushing and clipping, please. Thank you :)  :sheep:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Sheep showing prep
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:04:50 am »
I recommend a book called Showing Sheep by Sue Kendrick. 

Julesscott1

• Joined Apr 2018
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:58:25 pm »
hello, I'm also really interested in this post as i plan to show my zwartbles for the first time this year (first time ever showing sheep!). When should I think about clipping them for a June show?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:59:03 pm »
Taken from the society rules

7) Shearing

a) All adult sheep for showing to be shorn between 1st January and 1st May of the show year.

Julesscott1

• Joined Apr 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:07 pm »
thanks, better get shearing! Anyone know anyone in Angus? thanks

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 11:41:47 pm »
I went to a few shows with a neighbour and helped him show his sheep to get an idea, and then to prepare my sheep which were a different breed I got in touch with a local breeder and she very kindly showed me how to card and clip etc! You will find that most people are very encouraging and helpful. I loved going to the shows, I had a lot of fun and won a few prizes too!

As for shearing, you do it early so that they have a good fleece on them by the time you hit the shows. There is a lot of primping that goes into preparing the sheep. Shampoos, brushing, clipping etc! All a lot of fun! The basics you will need are a good carding brush, sharp shears and a paddle.

The main thing is to have fun and not be afraid to ask questions at the shows :)

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 07:43:58 am »
I'm not sure where you're based but the Berrichon Sheep Society are holding a show prep training day in a few weeks: https://www.facebook.com/events/1821889461445421/

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 09:00:08 am »
We have a guide on the Scottish Smallholder Festival website you might find useful as an introduction:

https://ssgf.uk/exhibitors/beginners-guide-to-showing-sheep/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 09:07:05 am »
Most show sheep get shorn in January so the fleece grows back enough for the judge to see its quality. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS