Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seriously difficult lambing  (Read 3770 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Seriously difficult lambing
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:30:15 pm »
Just thought I'd write this up in case it's of use to anyone, and also in case anyone can give me any pointers to things I might have tried more successfully sooner.

I have this evening delivered three lambs - two good live ones and one barely, won't survive - from the most amazing tangle of legs, jaws and ears that I've ever come across with a live birth. 

The other older, experienced sheepkeeper (I'll call her Maggie) and I were both of the opinion that Hatty (the last Zwartbles to lamb, an experienced ewe who had a year off last year and went to the Hebridean tup) ought to be making progress by now, and nothing was happening. We'd seen the birthing sac earlier - or at least, Maggie had - but now there was nothing to see at all.  We agreed we'd try to get Hatty into the corral in the corner of the field, or tip her up in the field, and have a look.

She was having none of being driven away from her chosen spot, and we didn't want to give her the stress of being manhandled all the way down to the corral, so between us we managed to wrong-foot her and I caught her under the jaw and had her down before she realised what I was about.  Maggie's an old hand, and was on the head in an instant, to stop her trying to get up.

So I had a feel, and there were two feet, but they were the wrong way up - soles uppermost.  I assumed it was coming nbackwards so I started to look for the a tail.  But found a jaw, and then another jaw and a foot that felt like it was from another lamb.  And at least two more legs.

My usual tactic is to decide which lamb I'm going to bring out first, push anyone else back in by the head, sort out the legs to be sure I have the right two to go with the head I've chosen, making sure by tracking up from the head to the shoulders and back down to the foot, and repeating for the other side.

But I kept finding other legs in the wrong place, or oriented the wrong way, or wrapped around the one I thought I wanted.  I swear I straightened at least five 'wrist' joints.

At this time, several thoughts were going through my head.  Uppermost was I wouldn't try for too long to the detriment of ewe or lambs, but would call the vet if I thought I couldn't manage it.  It was certainly as complicated a jumble as any I have ever come across. 

Next was that the majority of the times I've experienced a jumble like that, one or more of the lambs has been dead.  Sometimes long dead.  Dead lambs don't help get born, and can jam the system up, lying the wrong way, blocking the entrance to the birth canal with the top of their head, etc. 

Another thought that kept making its way into my consciousness was that there is still the occasional case of Schmallenberg. There were just too many legs...

As I worked on, trying to get any of the heads definitely paired up with even one foot, I said to Maggie, "Give me five more minutes then we'll call the vet.  I don't think I am going to be able to do this one."  Less than five minutes later I felt that I was making no progress whatsoever, just repeatedly tracking up to a shoulder from an ear and still being unable to be certain I had the correct leg by the time I got to the toes, and things were starting to be drying out in there.  I had plenty of lube (lubricant) but you can't always overcome the friction once the lamb's fleece starts to dry out. 

I'd actually just said to Maggie, "Ok, call the vet.  I'll keep trying, we can always cancel them if I get it, but I think this one is beyond me."  And then suddenly I had a head and a leg that definitely went with it surging past all the other legs and jaws, and a large lamb emerged and shook its head.  That first shake of the head is always magical, but trebly so when you'd thought it must be dead lambs or worse. 

I cleared its nose and checked it was breathing before passing it up to the front and going back in to see if I could get the next one out.  It was upside down in the canal (belly uppermost) - never a good sign - but I managed to get it turned around and the head and legs emerged.  However, it then seemed to be stuck, and that's not good after a long labour, and especially after it's started to breathe, which it had, so I worked fast to get it unstuck and out.  It was alive, and it was breathing, but it wasn't looking very hopeful.  I passed it over to Maggie and went back in to check there were no more.  A bit of me was of the opinion I'd had more than 4 front legs at one point.  Sure enough, there was a large lamb further in.  In a normal lambing I'd have left Mum to deliver that, but after the jumble we'd had it's better to get them all out as quickly as possible.  Sure enough, there was a lot of colour in the fluid around the lamb, which indicates stress, so it was none too soon to be getting it out.  To my delight it too shook its head and started to try to breathe.  It clearly had some fluid on the lungs, so I alerted Maggie that I thought she would need to swing this one.  I left it still attached to Mum by the umbilical cord for a few moments for it to get used to having been born, then once it seemed ready, pulled it clear and passed it to Maggie.  A few good swings and the breathing was much better.

We stayed with Hatty long enough to be sure the two better lambs were breathing okay and trying to stand, then left Hat to her job while I went off to bring Lessa and family in for the night.  We'd had a lot of rain and cold wind with it, and although all Lessa's lambs had fed, we were of the opinion they'd have a better first night if they weren't having to use energy to get warm too.

As I slowly walked Lessa and lambs across the field - of course she was at the furthest possible corner from the gate - I could see two lambs under Hatty, looking strong on their legs and questing with purpose for the teat.  Hatty was working hard on the third lamb, but there seemed to be no response.  As I reached the 2/3 mark, Hatty made mournful baas, like a ewe does when her lamb has died or gone missing.  If I hadn't been intent on getting Lessa's lambs to shelter before they got too cold, I'd have gone over and quietly removed the dead lamb right then, but in fact Hatty seemed to know it was hopeless and turned her attention to the two strong lambs.

Once Lessa and lambs were safely in the corral, which is well sheltered, I went over to see how Hatty was doing.  The third lamb wasn't totally dead, but was mostly unresponsive and crossed its jaws when I put a finger in its mouth to see if it had a suck reflex.  Hatty and the other two were now a few feet away from it, so it seemed clear that Hatty didn't think it would survive, and I agreed with her.

I went off to the barn to fetch the lambing trailer to bring Lessa and family the rest of the way, and met up with another of the animal team, I'll call her Mona.  We fetched Lessa and her three, then went back for Hatty and her two.  By this time Maggie had joined us, and told me that a plate of supper was put by for me when I was ready. 

We got them all installed in pens I'd made up in the barn, and I went off for my much-needed supper.  Maggie kept me company and then went to check that Hatty's two had both fed. 

We'll collect antibiotics, CombiVit and Metacam from the vet in the morning.  Hat is fine, but that was a lot of manipulation and I'd sooner be sure she doesn't have any infection or soreness.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Seriously difficult lambing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:30:53 am »
Well done on sorting out the muddle successfully. 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:58:01 am »
Well done. I hope Hatty and her twins do well now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:09:23 am »
Now I'm rested, I've realised that one of the things that made it difficult was that there was so much room in the birth canal.  So I couldn't get any lamb (or head of a lamb) to go back and stay back. 

I did try to get two hands in at one point, so I could hold one back while bringing another forward, but there wasn't quite enough stretch in the vulva for two of my arms.  Or I didn't feel that there was - maybe I could have done that, anyone ever done it?

I'd had to help with Lessa's second and third earlier, again both in the canal together, but hers was easy.  I tickled the toes of the one coming second, it retracted and that made enough space for me to get the leading one through.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:10:51 am »
One of the problems that a long birth process can bring is that the birth fluids are evacuated and lambs dry up, which makes using lubricant helpful.  Another thing I always keep in my lambing kit (which is in a lidded feed bucket hooked over the hurdle of the mothering up pen the most-likely-to-lamb-next ewe is in) is at least six lambing ropes individually sealed in thin plastic sandwich bags which can easily be torn open in a hurry.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:27:51 am »
Now I'm rested, I've realised that one of the things that made it difficult was that there was so much room in the birth canal.  So I couldn't get any lamb (or head of a lamb) to go back and stay back. 

I'd never have thought of that as a disadvantage, but now you come to mention it.....

Well done for sorting out the mess, and at least ending up with two lambs alive.  It doesn't sound as though you're having a great time with the Zwartbles though Sally. How many of them have you had to assist this year?  :-[
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 01:11:39 pm »
We only have two left, and we won’t be breeding Hatty again.

Gwenneth has twice lambed twins, done everything herself, is an excellent mother and a nice sheep to have around. So she’s staying and I will happily keep her daughter (Romney x)  if she turns out well - and not too large. 

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:43:51 pm »
Well done Sally.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 04:59:29 pm »
Good job.......

I'll put in a word for the (what still feels to me totally counter intuitive) lifting the back end up using a bale or similar (or very strong friend) method - even just rolling the already down ewe onto her back when it comes to easing pressure on the ewe and lamber.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 10:56:27 pm »
Good job.......

I'll put in a word for the (what still feels to me totally counter intuitive) lifting the back end up using a bale or similar (or very strong friend) method - even just rolling the already down ewe onto her back when it comes to easing pressure on the ewe and lamber.

Ah, good tip.  Never even thought about it - and I've recommended it to others! ::)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 12:19:23 am »
Thanks Sally, really interesting reading, never had to go in (yet, thank goodness), gives someone like me an idea of what to expect if it comes to it.
Congratulations on the outcome,

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 12:26:22 am »
Thanks Sally, really interesting reading, never had to go in (yet, thank goodness), gives someone like me an idea of what to expect if it comes to it.

Lol, I hope you never see / feel one like this!  I've assisted tens and tens of lambings over the years, and this was one of the most difficult.  The majority are actually fairly straightforward and take only a few moments to make a minor correction.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 01:06:09 pm »
Recommendation here for the Ritchey Lamb Resuscitator.  Use one facepiece to clear mucus from lungs then switch to the other to pump air into the lungs.  Expensive but it's a bit like insurance, you don't need it until you need it and then you really need it.  Both we and our neighbour at the other side of our ENE-facing valley had housed the ewes ahead of the March blizzards but found a small number of the first-timers lambed early.  We both put this down to the mild stress of being housed for the first time added to the mild stress of the weather as the powder snow was being blown straight into the sheds - they might as well not have had roofs on at all.  We found one tiny lamb clearly around five or six days early (little wool, skinny, slightly domed skull), but with a heartbeat, and used the resuscitator for twenty minutes until it was breathing independently.  Now thriving.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 05:26:29 pm »
Very well done there! :) Personally I would have taken away the third lamb immediately and treated it like a bottle lamb
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 05:47:17 pm »
well done, agree with using a bale to help keep everything back, in the absence of a bale, you can tuck your knee in under the lower hip until you get things sorted. I also swear by a head rope made of 4 mm strimmer line and a doubled over castration ring. looped around your knee and can be pulled like having a 3rd hand.

of course every lambing is different and nothing works every time! so again well done

Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS