Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tanning  (Read 3722 times)

Jim Steel

• Joined Mar 2014
Tanning
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:20:12 pm »
Hi folks. Hope I've put this post in the right place.
So. We produce Rose Veal, primitive breed Lamb and rare breed Pork. We like to use as much of the animal as possible.
Currently we are using Devonia to tan our sheep skins..
What we would like to do is utilise our calf skins but Devonia aren't in a position to do them. Neither could they give any recommendations.
I was in contact with Skye Skins but they will not be tanning for outsiders till September.
I had a thought that maybe someone who tans deer skins might be able to do the calf skins.
Just wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction.
Based in Scotland so home tanning is not an option I believe.
Thanks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Tanning
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:24:09 pm »
One of the folks here researched this for our steers and ended up sending the skin to Italy.  :o.  It was a beautiful job but we’d need to get £300 for them to make it worthwhile.  Not sure there’s a market at that price! 

If you do come up with somewhere more local and less costly, please let us know!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:23:27 am »
Just out of interest, why is it not possible to home tan because your in Scotland? I have home tanned sheep skins up here, just wondering if it's something to do with calf skins specifically?

I watched a programme once that had a segment about a company down in devon (I think) who were one the last companies to make leather using oak tannins or something similar, can't remember the name of the company now but a google of 'oak tanning uk' might yield something

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 07:54:15 am »
have you considered turning it into parchment instead?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:45:14 pm »
Try Nicki Port in Hereford:  https://www.organicsheepskins.com .  She did a deer skin for us a long time ago, but even if she doesn't do calfskins, she may have information on who does.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Jim Steel

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:35:07 am »
Clarebelle. I have been hunting for the regulation. I did find it before but can't seem to trace it now. Basically in Scotland you are not permitted to bring the hides back to the holding of origin. I suspect its for disease control. However there is a derogation in place in England.
Fleecewife. I have found an abattoirs in Hull and have emailed them. Awaiting a reply.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 06:51:40 am »
Ahh, ok! I wasn't aware of that regulation in Scotland. Luckily we home slaughter so not an issue

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 10:01:15 am »
Clarebelle. I have been hunting for the regulation. I did find it before but can't seem to trace it now. Basically in Scotland you are not permitted to bring the hides back to the holding of origin. I suspect its for disease control. However there is a derogation in place in England.
Fleecewife. I have found an abattoirs in Hull and have emailed them. Awaiting a reply.

Would you mind updating us if/when you get a response?  :)

mtcraymond

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 04:14:08 pm »
How old/ big are these skins,.?
You have options but they are expensive... Sheepskin sized skins are possible cowhide not unless you want to pay £300 ish..
No one tans deer in the UK commercialy anymore I'm afraid, although we hope to change that soon..

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 09:39:43 am »
[member=37976]Jim Steel[/member] Did you ahve any joy with this? I saw some nice cattle skins at the Royal Highland Show - enquiry revealed that they were form Brazil.
We have two nice red and white calves this year and I'd love to have their skines tanned in a coupel fo years when they go for beef.

Jim Steel

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 10:32:19 pm »
Hi Rosemary.
The simple answer is no.
However I have been given the name of a chap who tans deer hide and runs classes etc. I've just been too damned busy to follow it up. I'll let you know how I get on.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 06:55:12 am »
I watched the royal welsh show on the telly last night and they did an interview piece with a lady in wales who tans cattle hides. She said she also couldn't find anywhere in the UK to do them so they set up doing it themselves. Unfortunately I didn't hear a name and she didn't specify whether they do a tanning service or will only tan their own hides.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 11:54:30 am »
There is a new place on the Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border called Welsh Organic Tannery. This might be who Clarebelle was referring to. I don't know what they tan but have seen sheep and goat. It might be worth a look
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 07:31:27 am »
There is a new place on the Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border called Welsh Organic Tannery. This might be who Clarebelle was referring to. I don't know what they tan but have seen sheep and goat. It might be worth a look

Not cattle sadly
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 11:30:26 am »
Crikey, £360 plus whatever the abattoir charges for the skin, salting and courier to deepest Wales.  (Hopefully one gets the plastic container back.)

Not much room for a profit for the smallholder, is there?  Or will people really pay £500-ish for one?

(But it’s great that there is somewhere doing it.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS