Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meat and veg box schemes  (Read 3315 times)

Bigdreams

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Devon
Re: Meat and veg box schemes
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 04:23:33 pm »
Thank you Womble  :) i shall give them a bell, the more information we can get the better. Yes Maysie I know what you mean. I think it's decent size, half well established grass and half woodland, south facing, not in the middle of nowhere, one side borders a road and at the bottom is a stream. To me it is ideal, within 15 minutes of my parents.
I agree with what Maisie said - land is worth what it's worth to you. Also your partner seems out of touch with land prices, as not only (as you mentioned) is it difficult to find any under £10k/acre, but also smaller units fetch more/acre. Remember also - they don't make it any more!
It may seem expensive to him now but in 5+ years time when land prices have gone up even more it will seem a good buy and he'll be telling everyone what a bargain it was!
[/quote]
That me chuckle, they don't make it any more  :D
SallyintheNorth I haven't found anything else with our requirements that's any cheaper, land is so very expensive A food assembly sounds fantastic. Yes also thinking farmers markets too
Dreaming big

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 04:47:59 pm »
You're absolutely sure you're happy to spend three hundred and fifty thousand pounds on 4 and a half acres?!?!

Ah. I've got my glasses on now.  As you were  :-[
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 07:37:23 pm »
the veg box scheme I use is a CSA (community supported agriculture); you might want to look into that way of working. We also have a food assembly, which I use for dairy (raw milk, yay! and artisan cheeses), some meats and occasional treats.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 11:53:25 pm »
I run a veg box scheme from our smallholding. I grow in half an acre, have around 15 customers, grow everything myself. Make a small profit, my aim is to cover costs.
Most other providers locally that make a living,buy in staples, and cabbages.
My custoners arent fussedabout irvanic status but like a local grower they know and trust.
I deliver boxes myself.
It is time consuming and makes going away difficult and you have to love doing it to bother. I run the scheme june to Xmas and have a break too which is great.
Good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS