Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to keeping ducks  (Read 1983 times)

warmglo

• Joined Jul 2008
New to keeping ducks
« on: April 11, 2018, 08:17:40 pm »
Hi everyone  :wave:   It's been a while since I last visited, and have to admit I've missed you. But so much has happened - met the love of my life, got married, found a project house with a bit of land...

Anyway, Ducks... can they be kept within a large fruit cage? I realise that chickens would be a better bet, but my step daughter is strangely terrified of them.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: New to keeping ducks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 12:14:24 pm »
What size is the large fruit cage.
I kept mine in a 6ftx8ft polytunnel until I started a breeding trio and increased the space

warmglo

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 04:17:04 pm »
The fruit cage will be a triangle of about 12ft per side. Will the ducks destroy the fruit bushes, or be poisoned by them?

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:08:55 pm »
Can you fence off a larger area which they could go in during the day? You could keep maybe 2 in this size an area but it would soon turn into mud, ducks are very messy! As for the fruit bushes, if they are in a small area they will probably destroy them, especially by dabbling around the roots.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 10:24:00 pm »
I think the ducks would be fine in that space. Depending on numbers
What fruit trees are you growing. They shouldn't be poisoned unless you have something exotic

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS