Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BritSpin  (Read 3155 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
BritSpin
« on: April 11, 2018, 04:11:47 pm »
Just to let the spinners on here know, there's a new spinning event this year, BritSpin.

It's been set up by Jane Cooper (of Woolsack fame) and Jan Ellison (driving force behind Fibre East)

It'll run 11-14th Oct, which is during UK (excluding Shetland ::)) Wool Week

Details are a little scant at present, but the central thrust is teams of 10 spinners spinning as much as they can over the four days.  However we are assured it's not all about quantity and there will be other events announced over the months which will be less focussed on mileage.

I just thought it worth mentioning on here.  Any appetite for a TAS team? 

Personally, having to churn out quantities of yarn in a proscribed time frame with other people depending on me would fill me with dread, as smallholding life so often seems to interfere with my crafting time!  But it might be of interest to others - and I'd certainly be very happy to coast alongside as a cheerleader / enabler, spinning as and when I can.

There's a BritSpin website linky and a Ravelry group linky (which is where most of it will happen, I'm told.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: BritSpin
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 04:46:31 pm »
It's not my thing either to spin frantically just for the sake of producing (in my case) a few yards of yarn.  But I shall be delighted to follow what everyone else achieves.  :spin: :spin: :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 05:16:20 pm »
Jeez, I thought this was about a new name for the BBC  :coat:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:19:08 pm »

:roflanim:

Nice one :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 12:03:48 am »

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 06:09:29 am »
  Likewise, much as I might like to sit and spin all day there's too many other things happen in a day to devote the time to spinning.  An hour in the evening maybe, but not enough to be in a marathon.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 10:06:53 am »
The marathon spinners have my admiration but it is not for me. Unless I was locked in a very tall tower with a spinning wheel and a big bag of fleece and no other way or escape.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:13:47 pm »
I joined a group doing Spinzilla a few years ago.  I committed to 4 hours for 5 days and my spinning improved no end for the steady practice.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 10:19:49 pm »
It's shaping up that we will probably have a 'Tour of British Fleece' team, whose objective is absolutely not to produce miles of yarn, but to use the event as a vehicle to share fleece and knowledge about fleece and to promote the wonderful fleece of British sheep.  (That is, British breeds and types of sheep - so very emphatically including hybrids such as the plethora of Mules, and all the other established and lesser-known crosses too - and also the fleece of sheep found in Britain, ie., the sheep local to you.). And I should mention that our extensive use of the word 'fleece' is not to preclude prepared fibre for those who prefer it.

And there will be a Spin-In or two during the four days where BritSpinners (and other spinners who are not BritSpinners too) will meet up to spin together.

So all fairly low key for us, I think, with the emphasis on fun and connecting with other spinners.

We are still awaiting any information about specific challenges / events that aren't about how many miles of yarn you can spin in four days...  but are assured they will be many and varied.  I expect we'll end up making up some of our own too ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS