Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cade lamb help  (Read 2797 times)

Olong82

• Joined Sep 2017
Cade lamb help
« on: April 11, 2018, 07:35:32 am »
Hi everyone. I have had 6 cade lambs this year thst i got at about 3 weeks old and have had for a week and a half so comeing up to 5 weeks old. This is my first time of raising them although i have kept sheep before. Recently i have been finding after feeds the lambs are sneezing. Is this normal trying to work out if they have just been a bit too keen and enthusiastic on the milk and it went the wrong way or if its somthing else. Also when sneezing this morning two sneezed out some creemy white poo which was quite runny.
My question is is this normal?

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Cade lamb help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:46:56 am »
How are you feeding them?  Bottle?  Bucket?  Sounds like they're inhaling milk, which isn't ideal.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:29:53 am »
How big are the holes on the bottle teats? Sometimes they can drink very fast if the holes are too big and choke/sneeze

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:01:02 pm »
And what else do they have access to?  Grass / hay / creep feed. It sounds like they are rushing at the milk.

Southern Northerner

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 07:06:56 pm »
Ours do exactly the same just after they've had their bottles and then stop soon after - I haven't read too much into it as they seem very healthy and are growing well.  That said they haven't sneezed anything out.

Olong82

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 07:33:46 am »
They have access to hay and creep. When the sneeze/ cough they dont bring anthing up. One has also taken to farting during feeding so think it might be a too big whole?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 09:05:21 am »
No, after drinking having a small cough and simultaneous fart are pretty standard IMO :)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 05:35:22 pm »
No, after drinking having a small cough and simultaneous fart are pretty standard IMO :)
Yep so do mine, they are healthy and growing fast.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS