Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bottle feeding  (Read 2427 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Bottle feeding
« on: April 06, 2018, 10:41:27 pm »
Hi there
We have pet lambs this year for the first time in 2 years and I can't remember how long it is reasonable to leave them over night between feeds when using the bottle.
The lambs are 2 week old zwartbles and are really very large and are nibbling at creep feed.

Cheers

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Bottle feeding
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:48:22 pm »
At two weeks old, I'd be doing them late before bed (11pm) and first thing in the morning (6am). However, that's as much because it fits around my routine as anything else.  They certainly shouldn't still be needing a 3am shift!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 11:05:56 pm »
Thanks
How much would you expect them to take in a day?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 11:13:16 pm »
Should be around a litre per day but it will have all the right feeding amounts and weaning info on the milk powder bag. At 2 weeks old they would be on 4 x 250ml feeds per day with me.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 12:33:25 am »
Thanks
How much would you expect them to take in a day?

Whatever it says on the packet you use.  Some are 1L per day and some 1.5L.  But some lambs have less of an appetite than others, so I never give them more than the packet says, but if they're taking less, I don't worry provided they're happy, healthy, growing and well-fleshed.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 07:04:51 am »
My lambs get 4, 350ml feeds a day at 7am, 12pm, 4pm and at 8pm. I've done like that for years and they've always done well

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:58:45 pm »
You could always try the cold adlib bucket.  I am using it for the first year instead of bottles and am well taken with it.  Saves loads of time, supposedly better for them, no concerns of under/overfeeding or what time.  I’m a convert after reading the recent comments here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS