Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New hens  (Read 5605 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: New hens
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 05:49:18 pm »
I love my hens, love the noises they make and love watching them pottering about. I have 8 hens and a cockerel who free range and come and go as they please. Because there are no foxes or rats on the island I don't shut them in they are happy as larry!
No foxes..... I'm moving to Orkney

No trees either ;)  :'(  :love::tree:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 12:45:12 pm »
I started 10+ years ago with 4, then took on some ex commercials, then a few growers/POLs, then started raising day olds and hatching a few when hens went broody as I'd somehow acquired a cockerel.. 

Usually have between a dozen and 48 at different times of year (raising chicks, tho most of those were sold on as growers along with eggs to pay for feed).  They just about broke even if you didn't include fencing the run, coop replacements, feeders etc..

Sadly a fox got 9 of my current 15 on Thursday/Friday so my Friday 13th discovery was the senior cockerel dead of probably a heart attack after failing to protect his girls.  Several feather piles around but no other bodies so they've all been taken to feed growing cubs I imagine. 

Have had an attack like this before a few years back and survived by totally free ranging so they all had a chance of getting away rather than being cornered.  The girls that roosted in trees and were wily about coming down too early, kept going but one was picked off every few nights until the 3rd week of April and the rest then left alone. 

This time I was just devastated and asked a friend to take in the remaining 6 either until the foxes give up on this place (for the year at least), which should be a month or so, but the way I felt yesterday, could be possibly permanently.  She collected the remaining 2 Welsummers, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 ancient Scots Grey and 1 Bluebell yesterday morning but the dratted cream legbar got away and as she's very flighty I just left her to fend for herself rather than try and drive her back after failing twice as she'd had enough stress. 

She laid a wee blue egg yesterday and is hiding up in the same spot today, not sure where she spends the night but not in the coop for sure so I cleared it out today and left it to air.  Will either try and fix it and creosote while vacant, or let it be a garden ornament of the decaying kind, depending what happens.

It is SO quiet here without the constant chattering, announcing, crowing and calling to found food noises.  It is depressing.  I only replaced the run last year and can't afford a roll of chainlink deer fence at the mo, so not sure which way I'll go.  They're so happy here and they make me happy too, but their lives can be too short or 7-8 years and I am getting weary of the pain of losing them - esp as one of my 10yo cats died a month or so ago and I'm in that place of feeling they're better off with someone else.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 01:16:58 pm »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 06:43:11 pm »
from what you write Ellied, I doubt very much that they're better off with someone else; you sound like a wonderful chicken keeper. I'm really sorry for your loss; it's very upsetting when it happens. Would you consider getting someone in to shoot the fox? My neighbour did after his favorite was taken.

Jim Bob

• Joined Mar 2018
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 10:07:10 pm »
I have hens as well and would like to install an auto drinker. My hens free range so something that will attach to the wire surrounding the coop. Anyone got anything like this?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 08:25:57 am »
Araucanas are great! You'll love them. :thumbsup:
feisty little things aren't they? Maria (so named because she prompted a memory of a chorus of nuns singing 'how do you solve a problem like...') who escaped quarantine and even had a go at me is now challenging a RIR who is twice her size for dominance. I have no idea how this is going to work out, but fortunately they have plenty of space to sort it out/run away and hide  :thinking:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 10:07:04 pm »
So sorry to read that, ellied. I do understand why you chose to take a break. My latest rescue girls were just done in last night by a mink, I've only had them since February and they were so happy, excited about every worm and beetle, I'm heartbroken and I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. Now it's the race to catch the blooming thing before it can get into the other houses - they seem to persist until they find a weekness....:( Btw - we must catch up, maybe coffee some time if you have a lunch break? Don't know where the years went, some were challenging to say the least....

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 08:35:26 am »
sorry for your loss nfd  :hug:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 11:04:47 am »
How awful  :(   Predators are the major downside of keeping poultry and it's heartbreaking when they are taken, or worse killed and left.   :hughen: :hughen: :hughen: :hug:  to you both.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 02:03:13 pm »
I am down to just 3 old hens that still lay. I sold of the young ones when I retired as there was just too many eggs. ( used to sell our eggs to the nurses at work ) I love to watch my girls going about there day. Badgers are our main problems so the girls are just in the barn building at night. they have one of the stables as there home. I coax them in every night with treats as the badger has been know to come into the barn through the night. The front door is open in the summer. I had one that wrecked my feed room, I was amazed it even got under the door. Was after the cats food. something thechickens try to get as well. Clever wee things. I feed the wild birds in the winter and the hens get out in the morning and make a bee line for the bird feeders which hang on the apple tree. Always looking for any bits that drop to the ground. the way they run makes me laugh.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 08:39:06 am »
I lost my hens a few weeks back to Mr fox. Yesterday I bought 3 black rocks and 2 Marrans. All pol. There was actually one egg in the black rock cage at the auction so I know that at least one of them has already started laying.
I have just let them out this morning into a smaller pen to start with and they are happily exploring in the sun  :chook: :sunshine:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 06:23:49 am »
So sorry to read that, ellied. I do understand why you chose to take a break. My latest rescue girls were just done in last night by a mink, I've only had them since February and they were so happy, excited about every worm and beetle, I'm heartbroken and I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. Now it's the race to catch the blooming thing before it can get into the other houses - they seem to persist until they find a weekness....:( Btw - we must catch up, maybe coffee some time if you have a lunch break? Don't know where the years went, some were challenging to say the least....

Just seen this NFD, definitely up for coffee too!  :) 

My 1 remaining feral legbar has recovered her nerves and is coming for feed every morning and evening untouched despite being a tree roosting paranoid.  So as a few weeks have gone by without further issue I reckon the other 5 should be ok to return home at the end of the month. 

The 'carer' is impressed that 17 girls (she already had a dozen) managed to fit in her Eglu so is now planning to book some rescues from BHWT on 26th.  I'd consider some of those myself too but can't manage the date as I have a massage training commitment, the final weekend for my Advanced Remedial Certificate so thinking maybe a few POLs after all..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS