Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DUCK PLUCKING  (Read 3331 times)

c day

• Joined Mar 2010
DUCK PLUCKING
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:07:45 pm »
Hello all, anyone any advice on duck plucking, scald or not, ive just tried with new home made plucker but ripped skin and looks bruised.so not great. thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: DUCK PLUCKING
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »
I hate plucking anything but as I grew up on a turkey farm I've always had to do it.  We had Muscovies here and we did scald them, in a big boiler.  It helped with plucking and also stopped too much fluff going up my nose  :D  I've never used a mechanical plucker although lots of folk do.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:09:24 am »
I pluck some of my ducks and poultry but more often than not to save time and hassle I skin them. I know there's nothing like roast skin but there are also nice things to cook with skinned birds. You can wrap the beasts in parma ham, make stews and soup, etc.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:01:38 pm »
Hi - I remember reading something somewhere about a product called Ducwax or something like that - You dip them in the warmed wax then in cold water and peel everything off.  I try and find it again and post it if I do. 
All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:34:01 pm »
i really like the idea of skinning them as we dont eat the skin anyway - can anyone give me guidance on how to do this please?

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »
All I do to skin them is chop off the feet and the ends of the wings then cut the skin down the front with a scalpel and then peel the skin off like taking off a baby grow. I'm by no means an expert and I had no expert instruction but my one bit of advice would be do it as soon as you have killed them and the skin will come off easily.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS