Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sloes  (Read 15091 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Sloes
« on: August 13, 2010, 03:05:36 pm »
My blackthorn trees are pretty laden with Sloes - HFW has a nice Sloe Vodka recipe.
Has anyone got any other home brew recipes for them?
 :)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Sloes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 03:49:06 pm »
Yes - I have noticed the sloes are laden this year (again) - doesn't that mean we are going to have another hard winter according to folk lore?

Also - when are you supposed to pick them?  They look gorgeous now, but I think you are supposed to wait until the first frost?

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:03:49 pm »
Traditionally you'd wait until after the first frost but these days folk pick them and bung them in the freezer before using them  :)

The Blackthorn hedges round here are laden too but I'm in no hurry to pick just yet. Not many folk seem to pick them so we just keep an eye on the hedges when out walking.

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:52:09 am »
Hi everyone,
             I have already been and picked a few in case theres a rush on and have frozen these and the OH picks a few everytime she goes out with the dogs and these go in the freezer as well. i agree the blackthorn is well loaded this year!! ;D :wave:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
Think I'm going to do the same - they're starting to fall into the chicken pens, and the chooks aren't impressed with them!  ::)

What recipes are people using?

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:30 pm »
sloe gin of course... yummy
i bottle cheap gin
1/2 pound sloe, stone in, all pricked, 1/2 demerara sugar
chuck them all in a big jar, shake until sugar dissolves,leave for 1 year............if possible

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 06:05:07 pm »
2kg sloes, bullaces or damsons
1kg sugar
3 bottles cheap vodka

Prick each fruit several times with a pin, then transfer to a large kilner jar, demijohn or other suitable glass container with a stopper or tight fitting lid. Add the sugar and pour in the vodka. Seal and leave in a cool place away from direct sunlight. Every week or two turn the jar on it's head then back again. After 6 months, strain the liquid through several layers of muslon, then bottle and seal tightly. leave for another 6 months - even better after 2 years!

(River Cottage)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:23:00 pm »
3 easy recipes - Sloe Gin, Sloe Vodka, Sloe Brandy:

Cheap bottle of: Gin / Vodka / Brandy.

Transfer booze into another bottle (or just drink some!) giving you a bit of room to add the other ingredients.

Into each bottle add equal quantities of sugar and sloes (eg 1/2lb sloes, 1/2lb sugar).

Leave for about a year, giving it a turn now and then...

:(

And after you've tasted each of them you must tell us which you prefer!

;D

hartstone

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Midlands
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 01:37:58 pm »
Don't you just love Sloe Gin/ Vodka ;D

I've just done some Blackberry Vodka also :yum: :yum: :yum:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 10:42:33 pm »
As a non drinker can you do anything else with them?

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:59:31 am »
As a non drinker can you do anything else with them?

Hello JJ  :wave:. Catapult them at your neighbours cat as he prepares to leave a 'message' in your borders  ;D

I've got an old book with sloe jelly in it but never tried it.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 08:12:52 pm »
Hi Lazybee  ;D No borders...too many goats!Neighbours are too far away for their cats and I have trouble keeping mine around as it is!Might try caterpaulting Malaga next time he tries to flatten a goat kid ;D
  Sloe jelly sounds interesting...used to have a receipe for Damson pickle but I lost it,can you pickle sloes?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 08:42:18 am »
I made sloe gin once (I rather have elderberries) and the recipe asked for sliced almonds, just a few tablespoons full. I remember that this was nice, gives a touch of marzipan. :&>

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

Prick each fruit several times with a pin, then transfer to a large kilner jar, demijohn or other suitable glass container with a stopper or tight fitting lid.
(River Cottage)
[/quote]

For people with lots of time and juice on their hands!!! or just chuck them in the freezer then pull them out for a quick de-frost then throw them back in again before you defrost them to transfer them on. A couple of fast freezes causes the skins to burst, no need for pricking.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

waterhouse

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 11:23:03 pm »
We had lots of sloes one year and made three different combinations of fruit and sugar quantities in an attempt to find the best.  All three were delicious and our attempts to compare and contrast led to general anaesthesia.   

We also discovered that when really tired after some hours horse riding a good slurp would get a massive sugar boost into the system almost instantly.  Perfect for the hip flask.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS