Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! First time breeding!  (Read 2039 times)

Mrspie

• Joined Feb 2016
Help! First time breeding!
« on: March 30, 2018, 12:20:57 pm »
My girls are 2yrs old and never been mated.

I hired a boar two days ago. Put him straight in with the girls. At first they run a mile! After a few hours they settled and managed to all agree to sleep in the same stable! They squabble with food and sleep space.

I’ve come down today and noticed that one sow who was the most scared of Eric the boar has got blood around her vagina and tail there blood on the walls were she’s brushed past and Eric had bloody straw stick round his penis!

What’s happened, should I be worried or is this normal for first mating?

Thank you!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Help! First time breeding!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 06:47:33 pm »
Thought you may have had a response by now from more seasoned pig keepers than me.....
It is possible either she is not in season and he is taking advantage of her or has missed (er wrong entrance so to speak). Believe that is more likely if she is not standing which could be her being more scared/ not in season yet. I suspect by now you have decided whether to leave them together or separate her off until she is looking more receptive.

Mrspie

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:41:17 pm »
Thank you replying!
I’ve been keeping a close eye all day, both sows seem to be interested and he’s mated the other one fine.
By the looks of it, he didn’t get the wrong hole! Im thinking that maybe she moved or was not quite ready.
They all seem very settled this afternoon so I’m keeping him where he is.
By putting the boar in, did that bring them both into season? Or was it a coincidence? 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:25:14 am »
A boar does not generally take any notice of sow unless they are near or on heat. It is usually better to put the sows in with the boar rather than the other way round. Sows can sometimes be very aggressive about a boar going in to their space but seem to accept being put into the boars area better. However, I appreciate you maybe didn't have that option.

No it isn't normal to find blood after mating. Possibly it is just that she caught herself trying to get away from Eric. Unless the boar is about the serve or just served you shouldn't be able to see his penis. If it hasn't retracted then it could be he has damaged himself. Is he an experienced boar and is he a suitable size for the girls?

It may have been better to have managed the boars arrival slightly differently. Getting him when they weren't so close to heat so giving everyone time to settle before serving or bringing when they were actually on heat and standing. The boar's arrival wouldn't usually start them brimming. Are they actually brimming now or is he too enthusiastic? Given it has been rather stressful I would watch them closely for signs of returning to heat in three weeks time.

You have left it very late to serve your girls. First farrowing are usually between 12 and 14 months of age. After that you risk too much fat around the ovaries and may possibly not get them into pig.

What breed are they?

Mrspie

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 11:03:24 am »
Thank you for your reply,

They are Oxford sandy and black x large white.
I asked a vet when they were about 1yr and he said that weren’t mature enough. They seemed to mature quite slowly. I have also had trouble sourcing a boar.
I must have been lucky because they are both standing for him, so I assume he went in at the right time. The one who was bleeding, isn’t bleeding anymore and seems fine.
Eric is experienced. The girls are not.

I knew I had left it too late for them to be mated, but I’d thought I’d give it a try.

He’s now mated olive around 3-4 times.
Esther the one who bled, doesn’t seem interested in him anymore.

Fingers crossed That they get in pig!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 11:22:55 am »
 :fc:  Good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS