Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weak lamb  (Read 1757 times)

Danny

• Joined Jan 2017
Weak lamb
« on: March 30, 2018, 07:17:13 am »
Hi guys. I've got a a weak lamb that I've had to take off her mum. She's from a set of twins and mum accepted the first lamb but rejected the second one. I've let them lamb feed from mum a few times and will continue to do that she gets the  colostrum. But the lamb isn't getting any stronger, it's had kickstart and I'm bottle feeding it now. She's weeing and had a few black poos. Is there anything else I should/could be doing? Thank you

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Weak lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:35:50 am »
How old is she now?  If colostrum and black poos still, then I'm guessing not very?

Just be patient really - they often take a while to recover strength after lambing. Then once you get her going, look for an opportunity to twin her on to another ewe if you wish?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:37:23 am »
Put a heat lamp over it :idea:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:44:46 am »
I'm a big fan of lamb jackets.  Not the orange waterproof kind but a rectangle of old sweatshirt or fleece jacket lining, with two T-shaped holes cut for the front legs.  We use them on any small or weak lambs or those born on a freezing cold day and find it makes a tremendous difference to survivability - just takes the edge off the challenge of the first couple of days.  I feed colostrum for a couple of days - even though the antibodies can't be absorbed that long it has additional energy elements that follow-on milk doesn't.  Draught-free, dry accommodation is essential and a new Mama helps most of all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS