Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tainted meat  (Read 3030 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
tainted meat
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:28:45 pm »
IU read in another thread someone saying entire rams will taint the meat after 5 months old. Can anyone comment on this?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: tainted meat
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:07:33 pm »
We have had some really good lambs this year and did not want to knock them back with castration, on the other hand we have one weedy lamb that castration would probably finish off.Ours were born 1st week in May and was told end of Sept lateset for slaughter but to keep checking on the groin area, as soon as that reddens up we must kill to stop the meat tainting.An experiment this year, we will see what happens.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:15:54 pm »
Hi Shrekfeet, it was me that said that, but I have since been corrected by the more knowledgable members of this forum. I have indeed found that the meat (or more particularly the fat) of ram lambs can taste pretty nasty but I have since been told that if you wait until the mating season has finished they taste better again. I am going to try this with a shetland ram I have and get him slaughtered in march and see how he tastes.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:18 pm »
Have a look at a Scottish Agricultural College document on the subject of leaving ram lambs intact:

http://www.sac.ac.uk/mainrep/pdfs/entiremalelambtechnicalnote430

I can't claim to be more knowledgable than others, but I haven't found a problem yet with hoggets out of season.  Mind you, I could believe that an ancient old ram of many years may well have a "strong flavour" most of the time.

John

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:27:20 pm »
Also some people actually like the flavour given to meat by a tup in breeding mode.  It seems to be more noticeable to women than to men.  How much tuppiness is present will also vary with breed - even when still on their feet Shetland tups (and their fleeces) smell very musky to me, and I am aware of it in their meat as breeding season hoggs, but with Hebrideans and Soays I have only noticed a taint in older tups several years old.  We have a bunch of Heb shearling tups and one Soay going off next week  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:00:27 am »
Thanks all - I have Poll Dorsets so they can breed all year round. How will this affect 'in season' taint?

Maybe Morri may see this post and reply as I know she keeps Dorsets too

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:32:12 pm »
we have suffolks which also have a long breeding season and have found many people prefferred to have the entire lambs as they were packed with flavour, then again some people haven't come back for more so they may prefer the lighter flavours...
Ian

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:59:41 am »
we had a longwool tup that we killed at 10 months     the flavour and texture of the meat was superb. However they do take longer to mature as they are a big heavy breed and benefit from a longer growing period :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS