Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bottle Feeding lambs  (Read 3928 times)

Missy

• Joined Jul 2017
Bottle Feeding lambs
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:36:26 pm »
Another question sorry, but what do people favour when bottle feeding lambs.  I have 7 lambs who I am feeding and am getting in a right pickle as only manage 2 bottles at a time.

Do you like the milk shepherdess, the rack with 6 bottles system or the bucket with the teats.

The lambs are quite small so the bucket put me off as the teats seemed so big?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Bottle Feeding lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 12:55:43 pm »
If only 3-4 lambs then I use a bucket if I had more then I would use the shepherdess , the bucket for me is easier to keep clean  but the shepherdess holds more milk .  Same teats on both  and you can buy different types  soft /hard

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 02:43:02 pm »
I like the rack for up to 12 lambs.  4 bottles in the rack and one in each hand, I can feed six at a time.  Second pen of another six.  I prefer the rack to buckets because I can be sure each is getting enough and no more.  I've never used a shepherdess system, so can't comment on that.

I have done seven well-trained lambs at once using a rack - 4 bottles in the rack, one in each hand, and one between my thighs.  You do need the lambs well-trained though!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:48:23 pm »
Its a struggle that I cant bear ;)

just keep feeding them till they go to a field and you cant hear them scream.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:49:49 pm »
Ive drilled holes in a bit of wood so I can feed eight in each hand - one between my leggs and Ive got one hand free for another and the other the slap them into position  ;)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:50:54 pm »
use coke bottles with the red and yellow nipplwes

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 05:43:29 pm »
Shepherdess for any more than 2. I’ve got a couple of pet lambs this year on the bottle as my old shepherdess was past it’s best and had to be binned... missing it now though! A new shepherdess is on my list ready for next lambing even if I only have 1 or 2 on it.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 08:46:11 am »
I have raised 4 this time on a bucket.  All now weaned and growing on well. It is also the first year that my bottle lambs have not had any upset tummies of any sort :)  It is a system I am going to use every time now.  Unless I get way too many lambs and then I may invest in a shepherdess.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 09:06:33 am »
Guys, this isn't a competition! Just because I've been to Tenerife, doesn't mean you have to post that you've been to Elevenerife!  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 09:39:28 am »
Some ideas I hadn't thought of though.  :idea:

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 10:13:43 pm »
I've got a bucket with 6 teats for my two pet lambs and they're both thriving - the 6 week old weighed in at 19kg last weekend and the 3 week old at 13kg. Really pleased - and don't worry about the teat size, the 3 week old went straight from her mother to the bucket at 2 days old and coped fine  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS