Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: carrot help!  (Read 2282 times)

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
carrot help!
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:40:24 am »
ive started growing some carrots in a pot, ive never grown them before!

they have started sprouting... i keep seeing people say 'thinning out' im not really sure what it means! am i supposed to thin out the numbers to give them more room so i dont just get one big pot shaped carrot?? how do i decide what ones to pull out?!?! they are all about the same height all as green as each other and none look unhealthy! or do i just leave them?

???

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: carrot help!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:54:55 am »
How big is the pot and how many are coming through ideally thin out so each carrot has at least 1/4 inch around it (you can use the thinnings in a salad) as the carrots grow keep 1/4 in around each carrot ( and use the thinnings in a salad) until your carrots are large enough to eat
Ian

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:01 am »
excellent thanks! i think i may have gotten a bit carried away when i 'sprinkled' the seeds in! its only a small pot about 30cm accross but deeper than it is wide... i take it this is the same for parsnips?! although i diddnt put so many of those in as the seeds are bigger!  ;D

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:52:49 am »
good luck with the parsnips... they grow much bigger and if you decided to keep them in the pot you may get two or three... unfortunately they don't like being disturbed so transplanting isn't usually successful. I've never tried eating the thinnings but I don't see why it would be a problem
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS