Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sugar beet for ewes  (Read 1903 times)

Missy

• Joined Jul 2017
sugar beet for ewes
« on: March 26, 2018, 01:41:58 pm »
My ryeland ewes have all lambed and are looking quite thin.  There is no grass yet.  Can I add sugar beet (soaked) to their nuts?  They are on ad lib hay as well and are still in at night.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: sugar beet for ewes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:56:06 pm »
You'll have got used to seeing them looking like wine barrels whilst pregnant.  Condition scoring by feeling the covering over the spine is a useful tool for finding out their condition score.  There's plenty of info on this forum on what to look for.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:47:13 am »
My ewes wouldn't touch any nuts that get wet, if its raining when I feed, the next day I usually notice a load of uneaten 'porrige' in the troughs, so I wouldn't put soaked sugar beet in.

Can you buy sugar beet very cheaply? Last time I checked it was pretty much the same price as ewe nuts, and given the choice I'd def go for the ewe nuts!  I have fed unsoaked sugar beet to dry ewes without any problems, I'm not sure if I'd want to feed to ewes in milk though as it would mean they'd need even more water?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:56:56 am »
My ewes wouldn't touch any nuts that get wet, if its raining when I feed, the next day I usually notice a load of uneaten 'porrige' in the troughs, so I wouldn't put soaked sugar beet in.

Can you buy sugar beet very cheaply? Last time I checked it was pretty much the same price as ewe nuts, and given the choice I'd def go for the ewe nuts!  I have fed unsoaked sugar beet to dry ewes without any problems, I'm not sure if I'd want to feed to ewes in milk though as it would mean they'd need even more water?

Tip the troughs upside down once they’ve finished, so they are dry when you turn them back over to feed. Makes a huge difference.

VAnderson4

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:05:09 am »
I feed my girls soaked sugar beet as well as ewe nuts, they absolutely love it. I buy the trident molassed sugar beet, I find it very effective for adding condition.

Southern Northerner

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 07:10:02 pm »
At the movement I haven't got much grass so I'm feeding each of my Ryeland ewes twice a day a half scoop of nuts and slightly less sugar beet with the beet not too watery - their condition can change very quickly so they need checking regularly as do their bottoms as too much beet can go straight through them.  Once the grass starts growing (soon please!!), the ewes graze and the lambs eat creep pellets so I'll vary their intake.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS