Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my gilts first farrowing  (Read 2411 times)

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
my gilts first farrowing
« on: March 25, 2018, 06:58:39 pm »
well it didn't go too well started on the day she was due , started around dinner time had first around 4 this one was dead ,next two alive , nothing else but she was straining , called vet a round 7 ,vet came  struggled for over a hour delivered another ,check said ther was no more , gave her antibiotics etc , vet left , gilt not very good ,48hrs later she gave birth to a died piglet , she's now up and eat n drinking ok and the two piglets that are alive are doing great , now do I say something to the vet or is it just one of them things

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: my gilts first farrowing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:37:49 pm »
Tell the Vet. I think they can only tell if there are more if they are reasonably close to presenting.  So maybe they genuinely had reason to believe there was no more, or maybe they articulated a 'probably no more' as a 'no more'.  Anyway like all of us their knowledge grows with experience and if you don't tell them they will assume they were right. 

I am sorry you had this experience, we had something similar happen last year.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:52:59 pm by pharnorth »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:02:56 pm »
It's possible that the final piglet was in the other "horn" of the uterus to the first born.  I agree about telling the vet.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:52:39 pm »
I'm not sure I understand why you are asking the question? Is it because you think the vet missed something? Are you aggrieved?

I'm not sure what the vet can learn from this other than next time they can't feel another piglet they say there may or may not be another.

I would be happy your gilt is ok and hope next time you have a better litter. Were the dead piglets mummified or normal but dead?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:54:59 am by harmony »

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 07:03:50 pm »
well she farrowed again on Wednesday, we have 10 alive and she had 3 still born , so a happy out come ,this time

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS