Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune Crossing  (Read 2032 times)

CharingPigs

• Joined Mar 2018
Kune Kune Crossing
« on: March 25, 2018, 06:07:41 pm »
Hello All,

I have a size difference query for you. I have a little Kune Kune x Mangalitza gilt who is coming up 11 months. She’s quite KK like.

I would like to breed her and discover that AI isn’t really available with the KKs. I am going to cross her for this litter due to availability and am thinking Berkshire but will a Berk boy be too big for her?

Also, age wise will the next few months be ok or do these guys need a little longer before they are ready to breed?

I have been breeding large blacks for years but never a KK.

Thanks in advance!

Becca

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Kune Kune Crossing
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:05:11 pm »
I put my GOS to the boar at a year old.  As I understand it both KK's and Mangalitzas are slower growing. 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Kune Kune Crossing
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 09:02:24 am »
I don't know at what age Kune's are put to the boar but if anyone knows I would be interested.

To me the question isn't whether a Berkshire would be too big. Whatever boar you use, irrelevant of breed the boar must not be too big to mount the gilt and risk her injury.

Personally I would look to improve the possible fat content of a finished carcass by using a leaner breed.

I have recently been asked about use of a boar for someone's gilts and my first question was were they suitable to breed from as in how many teats, no dummies and well placed.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:15:40 am by harmony »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS