Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cat questions  (Read 3691 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
cat questions
« on: August 11, 2010, 01:06:32 pm »
our beloved cat has started to use a corner next to the fireplace as her toilet! Does anyone have any idea what to do other than to keep it clean?? Any household product they hate the smell of ???
I also need a worming product, do you have any recommendation as to what they like to eat, what is easy to dose and to buy over over the counter or on line? She used to get shots and pills from the vet but I find that a bit expensive at a fiver a shot... :cat: :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: cat questions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 04:52:13 pm »
The shop stuff isn't effective enough, Kerstin.  My Rio does weird things when he has a belly full of worms.  I now worm him regularly very month with a tablet from my vet.  I believe Milbemax is a small tablet, but Rio is on Drontal which is a bit bigger, but he is such a softy he lets me put it right down his throat.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:14:02 pm »
One of our boys does it. We have put a litter tray there now to save the carpet.  I did buy 'urine off' from ebay, expensive but certainly got rid of the smell and deterred the evil tom that kept coming in our cat flap!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:03:57 pm »
I've heard that cleaning with biological washing powder is meant to get rid of the wee smell and prevent cats going back, but I've not tried it myself.  I also worm with Drontal from the vet.  I place it at the back of Tinker's throat when he has just woken up and not sure what's going on!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:02:45 am »
Milbemax is very good - very small tablet compared to Drontal. My vet said every 8 weeks for Harry and Bertie as they hunt, every 6 months for Felix, who hardly goes out and would never kill anything.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:03:13 am »
Biological washing liquid to clean up as it should break down the smell of cat wee, but also don't use any bleach product as the ammonia smell encourages them.
Is there a chance he/she could have a bit of cystitis? Sometimes that can make them wee in odd places.

I work in a vets and we constantly get people come in and ask for Drontal (never heard of milbemax!) and also Profender, which is a spot-on wormer for the back of the neck, same way Frontline flea stuff goes on. We're about a fiver for the Profender and £3 for a Drontal. You don't actually have to see the vet to get the wormer. Hope that helps.

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:55:41 pm »
you can buy drontal and regular frontline in tesco and our local saddlery sell it too. Don't waste your money on bob martin its about as much good as a chocolate fireguard!!
Are there any new stresses in the environment, that can sometimes cause them to start peeing in random places.

Would agree cystitis is a likely cause, you could try to collect a urine sample for the vet to test. MIL cat wee's in her sink when she has a bout

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS