Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dry chick - advice needed  (Read 2331 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Dry chick - advice needed
« on: August 11, 2010, 07:46:20 am »
This will teach me not to go to work when the eggs are hatching in the incubator ::)

The last (I'm assuming) chick to hatch in the incubator was very dry as the humidity levels had gone right down, and it has dried on 'gunk' on it. Can I wash it? I've left it in the incubator with humidity levels up (Other chicks have all sucessfully been transferred to broody hen)

I was going to wash it and pop it back in the incubator, then sneak it under mum when it had fluffed up?

Any thoughts?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Dry chick - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:56:01 am »
I have had this before and always left it and the other ducklngs, in my case, have done the cleaning for me. :)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:35:29 am »
Hmmm - this 'gunk' is dried on solid and I would imagine it would be quite painful for it to have all the other chicks pecking at him - their beaks are a bit pointier than ducks! I'm not going to pick it off - it would leave the chick looking somewhat 'oven ready'!  ::)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:46:06 am »
warm water on cotton wool should get it off. but just dont let it get cold. make sure the gunk is not going to interfer with its wing or leg growth.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS