Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is Stalosan F powder enough?  (Read 2129 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Is Stalosan F powder enough?
« on: March 16, 2018, 06:35:24 pm »
You read about hydrated lime in the barn at lambing time, even the Tim Tyne book says to use it. I have a big tub of Stalosan F that I use for my turkeys and chickens.  So I’ve also been using it in the barn with my (still pregnant!!) ewes. I brush away any droppings and damp straw, sprinkle stalosan on the floor, recover with fresh straw and a final sprinkle of Stalosan on the straw.

Is this good enough for lambing? Or is lime better? I’ve also prepared two pens for confining the ewes and their lambs when they’re born in the same way. Stalosan on the floor covered with fresh straw, all ready and waiting for the hopefully imminent arrivals.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Is Stalosan F powder enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 08:28:31 pm »
Had a look at the product site and sounds perfect for the job , I use a similar type product in my lambing pens :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Is Stalosan F powder enough?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 09:48:01 am »
I lime after the final mucking out and leave the sheds cleaned out through the Summer.  Depends how long you keep the ewes and lambs in the same place but in the mothering up pens we just muck out, leave to dry and add a fresh layer of straw before the next occupant.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS