Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can Hens geese and ducks be put together  (Read 2347 times)

DandG

• Joined Dec 2008
Can Hens geese and ducks be put together
« on: March 16, 2018, 08:53:30 pm »
Hi All,
Its our first post in a long time. We will be moving in to an old Farmhouse next month and for the first time have space for some feathered friends we have an old barn that has some roosts in it but they go higher the further back they go, so first question would this upset the pecking order with the more dominant birds roosting higher up?, it would be easy enough to level.

The other question is would they all get on overnight in the barn?, numbers wise probably talking approx a dozen hens 2 to 4 geese and probably the same amount of ducks.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Can Hens geese and ducks be put together
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:21:08 pm »
Small holders have probably been doing this for hundreds of years. However, I've had drakes that endlessly mount hens and drag them into water. Ganders can be very aggressive especially Feb to June or so. My gander hurt a few of my hens, two quite nasty skin tears. These birds were all housed separately, but free ranged.

DandG

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:31:40 pm »
Thanks for your reply Steph, may have to think of getting some extra coops then, they would have been free ranging all day it was just the overnight lock up, may have to give up some of the tractor garage or kerb the Mrs desires for all the breeds

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:58:42 am »
I wouldn't put anything in with my geese overnight, mine can be quite territorial and not all chickens will choose to perch.

Our chickens do free range, which includes them going into the area with the geese, but they can escape the geese through the fence and gates so I let them assess that risk. The geese have been known to chase them. I lost a young bird (maybe 10 weeks) just outside the goose area a couple years back, just one wound on it's side. I'm pretty sure it went into the goose area (during breeding season) and the gander didn't take kindly to it. I've been weary of the geese with the chickens since and don't let the younger ones out of pens until they are much older.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:02:12 am »
I wouldn't, geese are horrible when they become aggressive, ducks are incredibly messy! Ducks are also quite active in the night so I imagine they'd disturb the hens. I don't think its a good idea, unless you have a larger shed that you can separate into three separate areas?

DandG

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 07:05:43 am »
Think we will have to re think the plan, thanks for all the replies, will just go with the chickens and see how we get on

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 05:04:56 pm »
I don't have geese, never liked them since I was chased by one when I was four.

My 9 rescue hens and 6 Shetlands (2 drakes, 4 ducks) free range together and come into my converted garage at night.  All of them go into the correct side as soon as they hear me leaving the house.  :roflanim:  Dog runs that I don't need anymore give them their separate spaces.  I have a webcam and was amazed that as has been said the ducks are moving about all through the night.  The chooks just ignore them though and aren't disturbed.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 12:21:25 pm »
Ducks and geese are fine together. Ours have happily lived in the same space for years. I would not trust our geese near them though. The gander especially. If it attacks my white van then i'm sure it will attack the ducks !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS