Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats V Pigs  (Read 2809 times)

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
Goats V Pigs
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:01:54 pm »
Hi everyone ... So I am looking out the back of my house to what will (i hope) eventually be a pig run .. but it does occur to me that I haven't really considered a goat ... I figured here would be the best place to start ... what do goats require in terms of living? size of enclosure (they have to be or I will loose my veg LOL) shelter etc ... I was thinking of rearing 2 small / med sized pigs for meat but maybe a couple of goats may be more versitle as I could do meat and milk? .. just musing at the moment but would love to hear your ideas.

Sam

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
Re: Goats V Pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:20:26 pm »
Hi, I have 17 pigs and 3 goats...the goats are much more work!!! They are lovely but escape from most fencing we have put up and destroyed the duck run in their enclosure! personally speaking I would choose pigs every time!  :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:51:50 pm »
we have goats but no pigs (yet). the goats are indeed hard work but great fun and the milk is soooo useful for so many things.
so long as you don't mind chasing them round your/your neighbours gardens at times most inconvenient to yourself then get goats  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 04:55:10 pm »
They are both great fun to keep - get a couple of each!  :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »
we have both ... goats are more work, but the milk is great & you can have meat if you choose.
In our case, the goats rarely get out, and the pigs are escape artists...   :)
Little Blue

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:19:29 pm »
I would love to be in a position to get both but I don't have the room so it will probably be a choice between one or the other... I like the idea of milk with all it's lovely uses but I must admit i have had my eye on pigs for a while now and it was only very recently that someone suggested goats as a possible alternative.

Sam

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:18:01 pm »
The thing is, you could get weaners and only need to have them for 4-5 months, and then get your goats!

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:01:06 pm »
But only after re-seeding... looking at my piggie patch.... completely bare after nearly four months of them being here.... the end is in sight though....

If meat is your major product, then pigs win outright, although with goat meat you would have the "novelty" of different meat. Goats are much more depending on you for their daily routine - mine went out-in-out-in three times today in-between the showers....

I like pigs, but love goats!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS