Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do moles improve drainage  (Read 2002 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Do moles improve drainage
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:39:18 pm »
My fields are a bit of mess again but I think I seem to have convinced myself that at least the moles are improving the drainage.
Am I in denial ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Do moles improve drainage
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 11:56:59 pm »
yes and no, hope this helps  :D

seriously , I dont think the mole tunnels are effective drainage, too random in their route

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 06:46:06 am »
You may be thinking of a mole plough? Mole tunnels will just move the water to different places

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 07:21:38 am »
Unfortunately moles like the dry ground so their tunnels stay above the water levels where possible.  I am sure that they do have some beneficial effects as long as the runs do not collapse and cause blockages, but I would not be relying upon them for my drainage.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 07:33:14 am »
20+ years' experience says moles have done absolutely nothing to improve the drainage of my clayey patch - sorry! What they have done is create an absurdly uneven surface wherever they've gone, which is under most of it by now.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 07:49:02 pm »
I have in recent years paid good money to eradicate moles from my pasture..but this year I've got just a couple and I am aware that they breed in April so perhaps a stitch in time etc.
They are lovely creatures ..interesting that the general public have not adopted them like rabbits (Beatrix Potter) and hedgehogs. .perhaps it's because we rarely see them.
Always curious how the National Trust control them?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS