Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding Indoor Sheep  (Read 2854 times)

Derbyshire Hillbilly

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Derbyshire
Feeding Indoor Sheep
« on: March 09, 2018, 12:32:16 am »
Hi everyone,
Just wondering what different people's feeding methods are when the sheep are indoors. Its very wet here since the snow and rain,and the sheep which have lambed so far are still inside. They're very fit but I dont want them to sink while they're kept in. What type / how much corn do you feed them and so on?
Thanks!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Feeding Indoor Sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 06:34:35 am »
My zwartbles all feeding twins, are getting a stubs scoop of ewe and lamb nuts and half a scoop of grass nuts each.  Split into two feeds.  Ad-lib nearly hay haylage and water.  They all lambed February so are either at, or coming to peak lactation and the lambs are just nicely starting to eat creep.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 06:46:32 am »
That's a heck of a lot of feed Buttermilk?? One and a half stubbs scoops of nuts each must be about 2kg of nuts a day, are you sure?? I have 20 ewes indoors and they get three heaped scoops between the lot of them and as much good haylage as they can eat

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 07:26:59 am »
http://hccmpw.org.uk/medialibrary/publications/Practical%20sheep%20nutrition_1.pd

This shows a max of 1.2Kg a day .... for large ewes with multiples.

DH  I cant really see what difference it makes whether they are out or in this time of year they would still need the concentrates for up to 4 weeks if they have multiples. In fact they probably need less if in as they are not trying to keep warm.   Actual amount depends of size ewe, condition, and number of lambs.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:36:23 am »
My lleyns were on 600-750g 18% nuts a day. I had one that was in for 3 weeks post lambing as I had nothing to turn her out with and the lambs really have been pulling her down. All turned out this week- be brave, see a break in the weather and put them out, the ewes will milk better and less disease risk. Ours went out this week, lambs between 2-5 days old all with lamb macs on but all doing well and the ewes are brimming with milk now they are on grass. Yes it’s wet out there but providing there’s a big of grass they will be better out

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:22:13 pm »
As long as there is no more rain mine should be outside this week.  Yes I am feeding a lot but the haylage is not the best quality as it was very old grown as we waited for a weather opportunity to get hay.  The girls are still milking off their backs even with this feed.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:28:49 pm »
Depends on the breed and how many lambs Buttermilk is feeding big very milky ewes so they need lots of feed .  Whatever you fed before lambing DH  increase it  by at least 25% , and if still not outside in a couple of weeks increase again as the lambs will start eating as well ,  in at least 2 feeds maybe even 3 per day

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS