Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Balwen sheep  (Read 3064 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Balwen sheep
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:50:18 pm »
I have just bought 2 balwen wethers picking them up next week,they are so pretty,do any of you keep them?

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
Re: Balwen sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:25:40 pm »
this is so interesting to hear as me and my partner will be getting sheep in a couple of years and after lots of research have decided that balwen would be the breed we would like to have, so we will be very interested to read the comments and to hear how you get on with them, i asked a similar question b4 and it seemed some people have a problem with the small carcass for meat but this not not bother us. Have you thought of joining the balwen society they seem to be very good and have lots of things going on! look forward to hearing more from you about your venture!!! :sheep:

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:31:41 pm »
Hi,

We have a flock of 20 Balwen ewes. They are great mothers, with little or no feet problems and don't need a lot, if any extra food. We conservation graze them on a world heritage site and they seem to do very well on rough pasture.

Great tasting too!

One thing I will say is that out of our 3 breeds (we also keep Hill Radnor and Llanwenog) the Balwens are always the worst to get in, they give the sheep dog grief and both our Radnor and llanwenog tup live happily together, our VERY elderly Balwen ram is in sheep borstal and cannot be kept with any other male as he fights. BAAAAD sheep!

But with 2 sheep and a bucket I don't think you'll have much trouble!

Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:16:13 pm »
this all sounds promising, i have heard that they usually only have 1 lamb their first time and after that perhaps 2 if u r lucky, is this correct???

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:45:14 pm »
We have had a mother and daughter that have thrown twins, both had singles on the first lambing. Twins in our flock are rare.
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS