Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Your experiences with AI  (Read 5142 times)

sheepish_too

• Joined Jul 2010
Your experiences with AI
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:20:07 pm »
I'm considering a few cattle. Just enough to fill my freezer and a bit for the friends and family. I'd really like Galloways, but there aren't many of them around here so taking them to a bull is going to be tricky. So what's involved with AI? What is your experience?

I know the RBST have an associated semen holder. Is it just a case of finding someone local from DEFRAs AI technicians list, getting semen sent to them and giving them a ring with a heifer is bulling? Approximately what does that cost? I assume the heifer has to be in a crush to inseminate?

Thanks for your views.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Your experiences with AI
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:10:55 am »
There is nothing difficult about AI-ing so long as you are able to detect when they are in heat. This isn't usually a problem if you have more that one cow as they will jump usually jump on each other when in heat. It can be tricky to see in the winter though, especially if they are housed.

We use Genus to inseminate our cattle and I am pretty sure they have UK wide coverage. If you ring them up before 10am on the day your cow is bulling, they will inseminate the same day, even it is Christmas day!

You would need to order the semen in advance as they wouldn't carry Galloway semen around with them - I am pretty sure they had Galloway semen on their books. Have a look at their website to see what is availible. 

It really isn't a big deal and MUCH easier that taking cows to a bull and no need to get caught up with paperwork and pre movement TB tests and all that sort of stuff.

Get hold of Genus and talk to them.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:34:01 pm »
Yes, you do have to keep an eye on your heifer and know when she is in bulling, so that you can be ready with the phone call.

Also, they will use two straw, so you can choose between two bulls if you want - and then wait and see which one is successful (quite exciting if you are not particular about using one breed!)

Barcud

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 01:46:54 pm »
Not come across them using 2 straws before.
Genus certainly had both a black and belted galloway on their books.
AI can be a bit hit and miss - we get about a 70% hit ratio for the ones we spot bulling. Some cows can have a very short period of heat. Dominant cows tend not to be ridden in my experience, so you need to keep a good eye on them, watch for other signs such as bellowing at the boundaries. We've had cows that we have never managed to get into calf through AI but have with a bull ???.
However after saying all that, for a small number of cows it's not worth the hassle and expense of running a bull, and we've stuck with AI despite its drawbacks, and you get some of the best quality sires out there. Cost is about £10/service and the cost of the straw, which can vary from £10 up to over £100 depending on the bull, whether there are royalties etc. I would imagine the galloways would be at the lower end. You could also go for a X with Angus etc if you don't need them to be pedigree, and you'll get a lot more choice.
Regards
Mike

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 04:46:07 pm »
I was speaking with our Animal Health Officer yesterday about cattle and AI v bulls. Because I'll have two Shetlands, keeping a bull isn't really a runner, so we can borrow one or use AI. the problem with borrowing one, especially if it's in demand and going to various farms, is bringing in disease. At least with AI, ou don't need to worry about that.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 04:59:55 pm »
Rosemary, it wasn't Estelle Sessions was it that you met as your welfare officer?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:58:45 am »
John Maxwell.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:21 am »
Ah, don't know him.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 07:42:03 am »
we had 100% success with AI, apart from initially buying straws you do have to pay monthly for storage, we paid £7.23 per month. would highly recommend it for the smallholder, if you have a beef steer running with your cows they will mount the in season animal but you must get the timing right. if the cow stands while being mounted shes ready..........ps we used genus

acorn zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:05:52 pm »
Just awaiting results of our jersey being AI for the third time. She shares her field with a bullock and its been tricky trying to get it right. Genus used a straw called fertility plus which combines 3 bulls, so iam now wondering how soon pregnancy can be detected in cows? Been about 8 wks since she was AI'D and no more signs of bulling, so fingers crossed.

Laura

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 06:34:14 pm »
A decent large animal vet should be able to PD at 8 weeks. If your vets don't do much large animal stuff, it may better to wait abit longer
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS