Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on how to feed cold adlib please.  (Read 1600 times)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Advice on how to feed cold adlib please.
« on: February 24, 2018, 05:07:47 pm »
For the last few years I’ve been given 3 or 4 lambs from a local farmer.  They will be orphans or a triplet that the farmer doesn’t want to spend time on. I’ll get them at 12hrs to a couple of days old.  Previously I have bottle fed till weaned.  This year I would like to try cold adlib.  How and when do I get them to accept the adlib bucket?  I was thinking of warm bottle for a few days, then try to get them on a warm bucket, then cold bucket.  How do you folks do it?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Advice on how to feed cold adlib please.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:29:50 pm »
I start with warm bottles then reduce the temperature a bit and then give the ad lib bucket at that temperature for the first time then just make up cool milk for the bucket.  I wash the bucket thoroughly every time I redo the milk.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:56:40 am »
Thanks for that.  Roughly at what age would they be when you introduce them to a bucket.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 01:08:13 pm »
5/6 days but the last lamb put itself onto the bucket at 3 days.  It was in with older lambs that had the bucket in the pen.  The bag of powder says ad lib after 7 days.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 02:15:57 pm »
Thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS