Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Roughneck Wood Grenade  (Read 3094 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Roughneck Wood Grenade
« on: February 24, 2018, 02:17:17 pm »
Whilst i love the physicality and enjoyment of swinging an axe to chop my wood i have to admit it can be frustrating and inaccurate at times. For that reason i bought a Roughneck wood grenade. What a joy! All i need is the sledgehammer and a couple of hits. Yes an electric/petrol/pto wood splitter would be faster. But it's also more expensive.

So if any of you want to easily split wood without a mechanised unit then i can highly recommend this bit of kit.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
Re: Roughneck Wood Grenade
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 04:19:28 pm »
I didn't want to buy one of these as I saw it as a sign of failure with the splitting maul, but when I brought home some fresh birch, I couldn't split it at 15" for the stove.

In short - they definitely have their place and I'm glad I have one. The neighbours don't seem to like it much though, as it's a touch loud!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 11:34:12 am »
I have a couple but only use them on the worst twisted or knotted stuff.

This week is a good week to be splitting wood ... leave it out to freeze and it splits really easily :)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 11:36:51 am »
Is it much better than a regular wedge? 

I can split most things with my Gransfors maul so the wedge only gets used for troublesome stuff.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 11:58:21 am »
Never tried a regular wedge but i got this after watching reviews on youtube. I'm pleased with it and it's just split a load of 2 year seasoned elm my sister had in storage that my axe hardly touched.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 01:17:53 pm »
Am I allowed to be controversial and say that I found it no better than a splitting maul?  It was probably because the wood I was trying to split was too damp, but I often found that the grenade just got stuck, without actually causing the wood to split!

We now have access to a hydraulic splitter, so if anybody would like to try the grenade, I'll cheerfully sell it on for half of the new price (assuming I can find it!?)  ;D .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 01:25:16 pm »
You controversial? Never  :innocent: lol

Never tried a splitting maul and i'm trying to save up for a hydraulic splitter. At the moment i have an axe and the grenade. It's a good back-up for when i get the splitter

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 10:20:23 am »
Day to day splitting I use a maul.. which paradoxically helps my back problems. When there's a real mound of tuff (after trees fall down or need topping/cutting down) then chap from village is hired and brings his tractor hydraulic down. For the day rate (£70 + diesel) he gets through a few cubic metres.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS